Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Thermo pen

Just wondering if the thermo pen and the green egg professional instant read are the same and if not what are the diferences. If they are the same sorry for the stupid question.
XL in Bloomington MN.

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,717
    They are not. The Thermapen is by Thermoworks and reads in around 3 seconds

The BGE is a Maverick with proprietary coloring. Takes 7-10 seconds.

10 out 10 people will say get the Thermapen. 
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,734
    They are not. The Thermapen is by Thermoworks and reads in around 3 seconds

The BGE is a Maverick with proprietary coloring. Takes 7-10 seconds.

10 out 10 people will say get the Thermapen. 
    Agreed. The Thermapen is a type K thermocouple, the BGE, based on the Maverick PT100 was thermistor, that's why it was slower. I think the newer PT100 is type K thermocouple as well. I think the list price is $100 so same as a Thermapen.
    I have not used or seen the new PT100 in action, it does take AAA's rather than CR2032 batteries, so replacement battery is cheaper. 
    I purchased and returned a thermocouple unit made by CDN in Oregon. It did not work as well as a Thermapen and was $20 cheaper. The BGE unit is almost the same price as a Thermapen - so I suggest Devil "we" know (Thermapen) vs Devil "we" don't know (BGE). 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 1,244
    I bought a BGE instant read from my dealer for $20.00. It works, but it is S L O W. I have burnt my hand more than once waiting on it to lock in. 

My wife bought me a Thermapen the other day. I didn't get to cook this weekend so I haven't used it yet. I am sure I will like it a lot better.
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JustacookinJustacookin Posts: 179
    That is what I was afraid of bought the bge got it home and i thought it was different from all the BQ shows on tv was hoping it was as good. Like you guys say the same price120 at gertens 20% 100 bucks. Next time i will ask first. Thanks guys
    XL in Bloomington MN.