Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermo pen

Just wondering if the thermo pen and the green egg professional instant read are the same and if not what are the diferences. If they are the same sorry for the stupid question.
XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They are not. The Thermapen is by Thermoworks and reads in around 3 seconds

The BGE is a Maverick with proprietary coloring. Takes 7-10 seconds.

10 out 10 people will say get the Thermapen. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    They are not. The Thermapen is by Thermoworks and reads in around 3 seconds

The BGE is a Maverick with proprietary coloring. Takes 7-10 seconds.

10 out 10 people will say get the Thermapen. 
    Agreed. The Thermapen is a type K thermocouple, the BGE, based on the Maverick PT100 was thermistor, that's why it was slower. I think the newer PT100 is type K thermocouple as well. I think the list price is $100 so same as a Thermapen.
    I have not used or seen the new PT100 in action, it does take AAA's rather than CR2032 batteries, so replacement battery is cheaper. 
    I purchased and returned a thermocouple unit made by CDN in Oregon. It did not work as well as a Thermapen and was $20 cheaper. The BGE unit is almost the same price as a Thermapen - so I suggest Devil "we" know (Thermapen) vs Devil "we" don't know (BGE). 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I bought a BGE instant read from my dealer for $20.00. It works, but it is S L O W. I have burnt my hand more than once waiting on it to lock in. 

My wife bought me a Thermapen the other day. I didn't get to cook this weekend so I haven't used it yet. I am sure I will like it a lot better.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    That is what I was afraid of bought the bge got it home and i thought it was different from all the BQ shows on tv was hoping it was as good. Like you guys say the same price120 at gertens 20% 100 bucks. Next time i will ask first. Thanks guys
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.