Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Deli Style Roast Beef

I want to make some homemade roast beef for sandwiches. It seems pretty easy. The recipe I was going to follow said to use eye round roast, season as desired (black pepper, salt, garlic powder and onion powder) and then cook at 500 for 20 minutes and then drop temp to 300 until I reach the desired internal temp. To make the recipe more egg compatible I was going to roast at 250 indirect until an internal temp of 115, and then raise the temp and sear all sides.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Does using a better cut of meat make any sense? Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,229
    Eye round is a little on the tough side. If you have a slicer you could cut it very thin. I did my roast beef for sandwiches with a sirloin tip roast, raised grate, direct, 325 until it reached 120. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,153
    Substitute the roast for top or bottom round, sirloin or rum. They tend to be more flavorful.
  • Substitute the roast for top or bottom round, sirloin or rum. They tend to be more flavorful.
    I'll have the Captain Morgan, to heck with the beef..... 
    Use a meat tenderizer with eye of round, slice it thin, it is ideal. You do not have to sear the roast for deli sammies, the crust is nice if you plan to eat it and use the leftovers for a deli cut. 
    I do mine at 350 until the IT is about 130, pull it, cool it and slice it. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • 500500 Posts: 1,186
    Roast Beast makes tasty subs!
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,153
    edited February 2013

Substitute the roast for top or bottom round, sirloin or rum. They tend to be more flavorful.

I'll have the Captain Morgan, to heck with the beef..... 
    Use a meat tenderizer with eye of round, slice it thin, it is ideal. You do not have to sear the roast for deli sammies, the crust is nice if you plan to eat it and use the leftovers for a deli cut. 
    I do mine at 350 until the IT is about 130, pull it, cool it and slice it. 

Yarrrr, matey! Avast ye damned auto correct!

I would go with the rum too. Don Julio for me. :ar!
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,429
    I thought Don Julio was Tequila. What do I know? ;)

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.