Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humpty Dumpty Had a Great Fall

DAP
DAP Posts: 11

I'm not even sure where to start.  I was wheeling my Green Egg back into the garage like I have done many times before being very careful because, as you know, it is very top heavy, and either the caster turned and locked or I ran over a pebble and it start to tip over ann there was nothing I could do.  I was luck that it didn't land on my leg.  The bottom is cracked, the firebox is cracked, the place setter and pizza stone are cracked.  I think the only thing that didn't crack was the lid.

I take responsibility for the the accident, but I have thought to myself dozens of times how dangerous and unstable the large egg is on the wheeled stand.  Anyone else have a similar thought or accident?  Had it been a child rather than me, it could have killed them.

I assume something like this falls outside of warranty.  Any suggestions our there on how to buy replacement parts, if it's worth fixing it or if I just trash the whole thing?

I'm one sad egg!

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    New egg time I guess. Do you have a Egg handler? Would that have helped in moving the Egg?

Garnerville, NY
  • My condolences.  At least no one was hurt.  I don't suppose you had that on video?  That must have been a wild sight seeing that EGG go over.  OUCH!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Ouch!  

I bought my first Egg pre-assembled, which means (1) it wasn't assembled correctly, and (2) you haven't had a chance to read the warning not to lift it by the banding/hinge.  I pulled into my driveway, set down the nest, and my neighbor came over to help me lift it into the nest.  The bottom and firebox dropped out... onto my tailgate.  #:-S  It wasn't damaged but my shorts were.  

I know the nests aren't the safest way to move the Eggs but because of my particular circumstances its my best option.  I'm careful but may have a similar post.  Someday.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sad, so sad. I've never had a nest, as I've always been afraid I'de dump the thing on its head. Hope it all works out for you. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aw man, that SUCKS!!!  My condolences.
  • Sorry to hear of this
  • Key things to remeber when moving your Egg...Pull (don't push) by the hinge (not the handle).   Take your time and be careful.

The "Handler" is a nice add-on if you move your Egg around.

We help customers put broken Eggs back together after bad accidents like this, I would think if you still have your Dome and band, much cheaper to buy parts then buying a whole Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2013
    I leave mine outside all year long just because I am afraid I would tip it and break it while moving it.

Gerhard
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Question is: where you RUI? ( rolling under the influence)
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Sorry bud, that just is so sad. I hope and pray devine intervention is on its way.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would pee, poo, and puke at the same time. Sorry man.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • this is horrible. i would soil myself and then go straight to bed. My wife bought me my first guitar like 18 years ago. I'd had it for about 3-4 days and I was going down to my office to play it. I looked at her and said "this is the best present I've ever gotten (this was10 years before she bought me my egg). I then proceeded to trip over the child gate blocking our basement stairs and threw the guitar all the way down the stairs where it shattered into pieces. I felt like the dad in "A Christmas Story" trying to glue his prized leg lamp back together before I gave up and went to bed.....it was 8pm. I was so sick- I can only imagine how you feel. Sorry man.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sorry for your loss, I'd go talk to my dealer and see what he says.
    Maybe someone broke a dome and they have some parts or at least maybe he'll discount a new base for you.
    Wouldn't hurt to cry when you go in there
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Maybe someone broke a dome and they have some parts or at least maybe he'll discount a new base for you.
    Based on other posts, wear the soiled drawers as well. You can't fake that sadness.

Sorry for your loss.I am glad you didn't try to catch it. you'd be dealing with a busted back as well.
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48

Based on other posts, wear the soiled drawers as well. You can't fake that sadness.

This is a very sad thread but that made me laugh.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
     I felt like the dad in "A Christmas Story" trying to glue his prized leg lamp back together before I gave up and went to bed.....it was 8pm.
    Dude.....that blows! What guitar was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOOjV_E3s4

• AleBrewer
    to the OP.....that blows too!!!  Sorry to hear it!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Very sorry to hear about your egg. If you are inclined to , you can try to put it back together with JB Weld, but you won't be able to do high-heat-nuclear cooks thereafter. It would be cheaper than buying a new egg though.

I built a  small cart  for  my LBGE. It sits lower to the ground and has a wide stance, so tipping is unlikely, though it doesn't win any prizes for beauty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DAP
    DAP Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the comments.  I have been in touch with BGE Corporate.  They are amazingly empathetic and sound willing to work with me
  • AleBrewer said:
     I felt like the dad in "A Christmas Story" trying to glue his prized leg lamp back together before I gave up and went to bed.....it was 8pm.
    Dude.....that blows! What guitar was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOOjV_E3s4

It was like a $500 Yamaha. Solid wood body. I didn't know any better but the sad part was, it was 5 days old and I was so happy to get it. I really almost cried. $500 meant a lot more back then than it does now too (still nothing to sneeze at). I bought a nice really nice Fender acoustic a few weeks later and played it for years. My son still plays it to this day and it still sounds awesome (he's in there banging on it now and makes me happy). I guess I've lived a pretty charmed life because that is in my top 10 saddest moments of my adult life. I lived and now I have a sweet Martin that she bought me like 8 years ago. She's pretty good with the gifts :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    She's fabulous, after all.
  • AleBrewer
    A $500 smashed guitar would have made pretty upset too.....especially since it was a gift.

However.....a Martin 8 years later would definitely help to ease the pain!