Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg size

Options
Looking to purchase my first egg. Not a stranger to smoking and grilling but first time egger. Looking at a large or xl. Most of the time will be cooking for two however when kids come it can get to be quite a lot of people. So is the xl efficient for cooking for two people? Also can you cook steaks and also bake potatoes and or grill other veggies at the same time. We like to cook the whole meal on a grill.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    Options
    There's only two people at my household as well and I wouldn't own anything but the XL.  The XL excels and smoking and especially grilling because of all the "real estate".  I use a lump reducer which gives me direct cooking in the middle and a version of indirect around the outside where I do potatoes, potato wedges, vegetables, etc.   To me, it has nothing to do with how many people you are cooking for, it has to do with HOW you want to cook and HOW you use your cooker/smoker/oven/dehydrator and however else you can think of using your egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    There are only two of us here usually so I bought a large.  Wished I would have and plan to buy an XL in the near future. A lot of cooks you have to do in stages or figure ways to make some large pieces of meat fit in the large.  I would not see that happening with an XL. Once family and friends get a taste of egg food you get asked to do cooks for them, which I enjoy. So I wished I had bought an XL.  Buddy of mine just recently bought his first egg, an XL.  They love that thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Much like trucks, whatever size you buy, you will always be wishing you had bought a larger one. 
    I have a medium which works just fine for <4 adults, the whole cook. Anymore than 4 and we are using the gasser for some of the cook, usually twice bakers and veggies. 

A large would provide great cooking for larger crowds - but the XL is touted as the no regrets egg. There are options for limiting fire size to save lump and when needed you have the largest size. 

Always the option of an XL for party time and a medium or small for the two of you.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have a large and would buy an XL if I had it to do all over again. I had one of those weird shops who try to talk people out of XL's for some reason. I can do tons of stuff on my large and have rarely "needed " more space but I'm sure I would use it. That being said, I would rather have 2 larges, or a large and a med/small than one XL
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    If money or space is no object the XL. Ive owned a large for 15ish years and have cooked for 1-50+ in stages or with multiple eggs of course. If they had the xl available then I would have bought one then.

You can read about my first egg purchase here 

Tao and the art of backyard living Part 1

Tao and the art of backyard living Part 2 (Is more fun to read) 

Matt

www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We have the large. Love it. Usually cooking for 2 adults and two small kids.

With the adjustable rig from CGS I can cook allot more. I have fit a 15 lb packer brisket on it, 0r 2x9lb potk butts, or a 18 lb spatchcock turkey on the large. Looked at the XML yesterday and it is huge. Maybe one day as the real state is nice. But we are now looking at a medium for weeknight cooks and to give be additional space on the large. It's addicting.

Garnerville, NY
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I was given an XL as a gift. Only two of us usually, but we get up to 8 family members over at least once a month. I've only filled it up once. With multilevel options available, I would've preferred a large. Actually got myself a small for christmas for when its just the two of us, which is 80% of the time.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    Options
    Most of the time it is just two of us. Use a lump reducing ring to conserve charcoal. But when the gang is all here (12 to 15) the XL has the room for two 18 lb. turkeys or two 8-bone crusted pork rib racks. Wouldn't be without our XL.
  • calracefan
    Options
    When I bought mine the dealer talked me into a large, I have filled on at least 3 occasions. Wanted the XL, now that being said I now own an A/R customer combo so I have a lot more grid area available. If you get a large you will want one of these, if you buy an XL probably not .
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I have a large and would buy an XL if I had it to do all over again. I had one of those weird shops who try to talk people out of XL's for some reason. 
    That is so bizarre, isn't it!  Chip tried talking me into a Large too, right up until the last moment when he reluctantly put the XL in the back of my truck?!?!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Fort Wayne Brian
    Options

I have been looking at an XL for awhile. I can get 20% off all accessories with the purchase. Does anybody have suggestions on which ones to buy and why?