Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous vide question

Doing some duck breasts tonight. Can't decide if I should score the skin?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,019
    Probably wouldn't hurt.  Doesn't render very well at - I'm guessing you'll be doing MR temps?  135-ish?

·
  • I would. I did some a few weeks ago and it puffed up like a balloon. It was 3x it's original size and chewy.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    edited January 2013

Thanks compadres. I figured some crushed juniper berries a few peppercorns, garlic powder, fresh thyme and a little salt. bag them and let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours?

NOLA Yes medium rare

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Yes med rare and sounds awesome. That's what I did that canapé with a few months ago.

·
    I was going to visit that one next time. It looked and sounded amazing. Still trying to lose the training wheels. Have had the legs from this one in the fridge for three days with salt bay and juniper. Going to put them in for confit tomorrow morning, only a couple of tablespoons of duck fat which saves me about fifty bucks from the traditional. Might do a cassoulet for tomorrows dinner. Found some duck sausage this week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    What do you guys find is the best way for rendering the fat from ducks?
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    I normally score the skin in a tight cross hatch pattern without cutting into the flesh. season and cook raised direct as low as I can. If grilling I do them in a small CI pan on the egg on skin side and then grill the flesh side til done

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I was going to visit that one next time. It looked and sounded amazing. Still trying to lose the training wheels. Have had the legs from this one in the fridge for three days with salt bay and juniper. Going to put them in for confit tomorrow morning, only a couple of tablespoons of duck fat which saves me about fifty bucks from the traditional. Might do a cassoulet for tomorrows dinner. Found some duck sausage this week

wow! Sounds awesome

·
    And I can prove it! =D> Thanks to Cazman

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·