Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide question

Options
Doing some duck breasts tonight. Can't decide if I should score the skin?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Probably wouldn't hurt.  Doesn't render very well at - I'm guessing you'll be doing MR temps?  135-ish?
    I would. I did some a few weeks ago and it puffed up like a balloon. It was 3x it's original size and chewy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks compadres. I figured some crushed juniper berries a few peppercorns, garlic powder, fresh thyme and a little salt. bag them and let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours?

NOLA Yes medium rare

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes med rare and sounds awesome. That's what I did that canapé with a few months ago.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I was going to visit that one next time. It looked and sounded amazing. Still trying to lose the training wheels. Have had the legs from this one in the fridge for three days with salt bay and juniper. Going to put them in for confit tomorrow morning, only a couple of tablespoons of duck fat which saves me about fifty bucks from the traditional. Might do a cassoulet for tomorrows dinner. Found some duck sausage this week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    What do you guys find is the best way for rendering the fat from ducks?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I normally score the skin in a tight cross hatch pattern without cutting into the flesh. season and cook raised direct as low as I can. If grilling I do them in a small CI pan on the egg on skin side and then grill the flesh side til done

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was going to visit that one next time. It looked and sounded amazing. Still trying to lose the training wheels. Have had the legs from this one in the fridge for three days with salt bay and juniper. Going to put them in for confit tomorrow morning, only a couple of tablespoons of duck fat which saves me about fifty bucks from the traditional. Might do a cassoulet for tomorrows dinner. Found some duck sausage this week

wow! Sounds awesome
  • Little Steven
    Options
    And I can prove it! =D> Thanks to Cazman

Steve 

Caledon, ON