Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spatch question

Is there any difference in cooking the whole chicken without the backbone versus cooking the whole chicken, the same way, but already cut into pieces?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• PjoePjoe Posts: 224
    If you mean chicken quarters, I see no difference in this way versus spatchcocked. It allows you pull the parts at the right temp for each. I cooked a turkey for a christmas lunch and did the breast whole with wings attached and sepaerated the leg/thigh combo. It was the bomb! I plan on doing the same with a whole chicken.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Not that i've noticed but cooking piesces makes it easier to cook legs without overcooking the breasts. I always chop shop chicken part them out, it is much easier to fit two big birds on my medium egg. 
    I put legs and thighs on first, ten minutes later the breasts and then 5 minutes later the wings. Everything cooks indirect 400 in less than 1 hour. thighs at 175, breasts at 160. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • mimaulermimauler Posts: 118
    It would probably be easier to manage the cook with the chicken cut into pieces...I perfer to do it with the backbone cut out.