Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch question

Is there any difference in cooking the whole chicken without the backbone versus cooking the whole chicken, the same way, but already cut into pieces?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    If you mean chicken quarters, I see no difference in this way versus spatchcocked. It allows you pull the parts at the right temp for each. I cooked a turkey for a christmas lunch and did the breast whole with wings attached and sepaerated the leg/thigh combo. It was the bomb! I plan on doing the same with a whole chicken.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Not that i've noticed but cooking piesces makes it easier to cook legs without overcooking the breasts. I always chop shop chicken part them out, it is much easier to fit two big birds on my medium egg. 
    I put legs and thighs on first, ten minutes later the breasts and then 5 minutes later the wings. Everything cooks indirect 400 in less than 1 hour. thighs at 175, breasts at 160. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    It would probably be easier to manage the cook with the chicken cut into pieces...I perfer to do it with the backbone cut out.