Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan Pie

This is my first real pie on the egg, not counting pizza, quiche or cobblers. I used a NY Times short crust recipe for the food processor that is quite simple. 145 grams of flour (cup) 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1 stick of cold unsalted butter and three tablespoons of ice water. You combine flour and salt and pulse a few times, add the butter cut up into 8 pieces and pulse a few more times, add water and process for about 30 seconds. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for two hours or overnight. Let warm a bit before rolling out.

The rest of the recipe is from the Karo syrup bottle but modified as my mother always did with a mix of regular and brown sugar and light and dark syrup. The tip on the bottle that the pie is done when temp in the middle hits 200 degrees is quite helpful for owners of instant read thermometers. Another hint is that Costco has a great price on really nice pecans.

I baked it at 350 for about 65 minutes, place setter in legs down. This pie made me very popular with the wife who has a thing for pecan pie and said the results were excellent.

Comments