Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I cannot stop eating these things!!!!

Did my first batch of Burgundy mushrooms.  

OMG, they are so freaking good!  Every time the wife or I walk by we have to grab one or two.  These have got to last until dinner tonight, to go with the "prime" grade ribeyes I have planned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    I am getting ready to do a third batch since T-Day.  Thinking about putting some capellini onions in with the root on?? Been using Carlo Rossi jug burgundy and works fine. 
  • I used the Carlo Rossi jug burgundy also, got it from Walmart.  Worked well for us.

• FurallFurall Posts: 103
    Hey guys, the pioneer woman cooks these on stovetop. Has anyone used a crockpot?
  • Ahhhh, the glorious sheen of butter

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    I have done 2 batches in crockpot, first time high setting for 9 hours top on and second time 12 hours overnight with top on.  Both batches eggcellent.
    Is pioneer woman the recipe you are using?
  • Furall said:
    Hey guys, the pioneer woman cooks these on stovetop. Has anyone used a crockpot?
    I mixed the ingredients in a pot and then these were placed in a crock pot on low setting for 6 hours, then uncovered and they have been on low ever since.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,363
    There's fungus amoungus and it's glorious

• Furall said:
    Is pioneer woman the recipe you are using?
    Yes....http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/burgundy-mushrooms/

Thank you!! Gonna make tonight.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,069
    My wife made them in the crockpot, not sure if she used high or low, though. I can ask.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• We are planning on making these for our Christmas dinner with friends with Beef Tenderloin. However, my wife wants to do a test run. If I halve the recipe, would the cook time be the same? I thought it probably would but wanted to check.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,471
    Funny you ask Bob.  I just did a half batch last Sunday and since it was my first time I watched them pretty closely.  They were done to our liking in just a shade over five hours.  I let these simmer on the stove top so I'm thinking they cooked a little faster than in a crock pot.  I have no evidence to base that on though.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,363
    We just cook them for 30 minutes or so - until they sink.

• Bow, when you say 5 hours, is that total? The recipe talks about 6 hours covered and 3 uncovered.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • One more question. The amount of liquid in the recipe seems low. Assuming the shrooms will shrink down and also release some liquid?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I also thought the liquid seemed low when I did the full recipe exactly as printed.  I did cut off the stems and just had the buttons.  But I never added any liquid during the entire cook. If you cook them in a crock pot taking the lid off really did not matter.  I cooked them in a crock pot and the wife took the lid off after 8 hours at 7am.  The crock pot never came off low.  I left them in the crock pot on low uncovered until 6pm when we had dinner.  We snacked on them off and on all day.  And yes, the shooms will shrink down.