Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taking the pork butt plunge

Options
2»

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Ha. Butt plunge =))
    Boom
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

lousubcap said:

Plan the adult beverage consumption around the 20 hours and you will feel better should they finish early.  And if you can, monitor both as they come thru the stall as each will likely finish a few hours different in time.  Use the FTC (foil, towels and cooler) to equalize the pull and consume time.

I did 3 butts last Sunday (When my egg cracked). one was 10 lbs, one was 9, the other 7.5. The 10 pounder was done an hour before the 7.5 and the 9. They all have a mind of their own

Well now I'm just scared I put them on too early. I guess I can drop the temp and stabilize before bed.

• hondabbq
    Options
    CT took your advice and lowered temp to 250. Off to bed in a bit. Going to put trust in the egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    CT took your advice and lowered temp to 250. Off to bed in a bit. Going to put trust in the egg.

best advice I can give you now is to chill and go to bed or have another drink if you are in to that kind of thing. The train has left the station and all will be fine. it's just meat. if your fire goes out, light it again when you get up. If they are done early, put them in a cooler. It's all good. Just know that this will be the best pulled pork you have ever had. If not, I blame Lousubcap for his doctrine of being the frictionless conduit (inside humor). seriously, it's all good and you will eat like a king tomorrow. Let us know if you need any help or need talking off a ledge later :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Well is just about 6 am. Dog woke me up just after 5 am, figued I'd go take my first temp on the smaller one. We are goo to go on the smaller I the two. Temps were 201-206. Larger one was sitting at 191 consistently over the piece. That one I left on for a couple more hours.
    The guy who gave me the meat wanted one of the pieces that was the deal. He paid for and I cooked it.

Clipped off the 3 ties I had on the bone end and took my first shreds. It was like pullin butter. Chunks pulled out in whole pieces. Bark was thick and full of goodness. Tender. Juicy. Incredible. This one I will be packaging up for him for later today when we meat (meet) up.

Thanks to all for your input pre, during and post cook. This forum is invaluable for new eggers. I seriously feel with some time invested in reading the specific threads, foods have turned out eggceptional. They haven't been perfect, but there is an obvious learning curve to this contraption. I remember back 6 weeks ago when I had one cook under my belt ( wings) and I took on a brisket. Wrong. Too soon to learn the idiosyncrasies of the egg. I was a little nervous about the long cook last night but it was super smooth. Maintained a perfect temp all night to the morning. When I did the brisket I was chasing temps for almost the entire cook. I was too giddy with excitement. Now it I much easier workin with the egg.

What is the best way to reheat this beautiful thing. I have read to put it into sandwich bags with choice of sauce and drop in simmering water. Any other suggestions?
  • hondabbq
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great results-congrats on the cook.  I'm sure you will get the chance to do it again once your friend gets to taste the pork.  For future reference-you can easlity hold the pork with foil, towels and in a cooler for 4-6 hours before pulling.  For today, your reheat plan works as does putting the pulled pork in a pan or crock pot with some of your favorite Q sauce and warming. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Looks great. Congrats, you'll be eating good during today's football games!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I will say that with the boneless butts I have purchased from costco- I did tie them.  They do a somewhat sloppy job of removing the bone, so without a little string it seems like they are gonna fall apart.  I honestly couldn't tell any difference in the bark from the string (but didn't use much). 

As far as getting up to check on them- chances are they will be fine.   I usually wake up and check on them...whether I plan to or not...some annoying part of my brain wakes me up!   I like having the Maverick because at least I can just glance at it when I wake up. 

I'm with you. I like having mine too but I would never not cook because i didn't have one. My probes go out all the time and I go weeks or even months without them sometimes. Just saying it's a good thing to know how to do without them and you can do it worry free just knowing that you have a good fire and that they won't be done during the night. 
    Agreed ;).  It is not necessary, it is a nice to have.  I honestly think the ET-73 I had was almost more trouble than it was worth, because the probes were always going out and you would get false alarms...(probably user error for letting them get too hot).  With the 732...it has been pretty reliable for me thus far.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those butts look perfect Honda.  Nice job!  The 2nd and 3rd pics you can see the fatty juicy goodness! 

There are lots of methods for reheating.  Honestly, I usually just use the microwave on low power with a vinegar based sauce. I know this seems blasphemous but it turns out good!   I have a foodsaver so if I'm reheating a large amount I will put a bag in simmering water.  Crock pot works great too for keeping it warm. I have heard that you are not supposed to reheat food in a crock pot/slow cooker.  Not sure if there is really any harm in doing this, but if I'm using the crock pot I usually reheat first with some other method then put it in the crock to keep warm. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I used to try to stay at or around 220 till Cen-Tex pimp slapped me and told me to raise the temp. I find it's better around 250 now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yes Bravo!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    edited November 2012
    Options

So seeing as the pork came off a little on the early side todayh we had a good lunch. Now its dinner time and im thining what can I do with all this scruptous meat.

I know. How about some Pulled pork flatbreads!!!!!!!!!!

Going to take some cream cheese and mix in some Ancho chili paste for the "sauce". Saute some mushroom, onions and tomatoes. Toss in the pork, and add some BBQ sauce just to make it wet to prevent the pork from possibly drying out during the bake. Top with shredded parmesan. Put all this on a herbed flatbread and have at 'er.

Gotta go and cook this up.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Gotta love the unbridled enthusiasm-sounds great! Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Honda, awesome job. Looks perfect and you are on your way. And love the flatbread idea. Enjoy.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • hondabbq
    Options
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Dinner is served.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Man if you have any leftover make some ABT's. Can you get jalapenos in Winterpeg?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    Options
    Abt's?? Just correalated atomic butt turds?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Buffalo but it doesn't matter man. Bacon wrapped cheese and chilis with pulled pork in the middle. Nirvana

Steve 

Caledon, ON