Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Permatex Copper Gasket Install w/pics

BotchBotch Posts: 3,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I almost let another winter sneak up on me before replacing my pizza-fried felt gasket.  As you can see my gasket was actually falling off in places:

It took me less than two minutes to scrape both top and bottom clean:

imageI then sanded the surfaces smooth with 100-grit on a sanding block.  Cut through the green glaze in a couple spots but no biggie:

imageLayed down a thick bead of the gasket maker, leaving a short blank spot in front.  Covered with Saran Wrap, then laid a 1/8" stick in the blank spot.  I was concerned that the weight of the lid would force too much goop out the sides, the stick ensured the Permatex gasket would be the same thickness as the original felt (in retrospect I'm not sure this was necessary...)
The next day I lifted the lid and removed the Saran Wrap.  There were a few thin spots, plus the blank spot where the stick had been.  I filled these in with more Permatex (used about a tube and a third here on the Large), layed more Saran Wrap down, lowered the lid and left it for two days this time (parts were still tacky after 24 hours, but it is a bit cool outside now).  

This afternoon, I lifted the lid to this:

imagePeeled off the Saran Wrap, and it looked like I had good coverage!  I'll leave the lid open a couple more days, then trim the Permatex flush, at least on the outside.  

The whole operation didn't take long at all (save letting the stuff cure).  I know someone on this forum did a much neater job by routing a ring in a piece of wood and pre-forming the Permatex in the wood, then attaching it later.  I chose this method as the seal against the top should be ideal.  Was going to lay a bead on the lid surface too, but realized it'll seal just as well this way.  

Anxious to try it out this weekend!  
imageimageimageimage

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,200
    Egads, I buggered up that post!  
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the two double-posts, and move the bottom pic back into the proper place?  

8-|

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,435
    Can't help with the above request but those who will give it a go will be able to figure it out-I have two tubes of Permatex and a nomex gasket just waiting for the next replacement-may have to give your approach a try.  Makes sense to me-but then again... :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    The adhesive on my Rutland is failing...I was dumb and used the black Rutland adhesive, not permatex. I am seriously considering going just permatex for the gasket, but will probably do it with some sort of notched wood/foam/cardboard to use as a guide when spreading to keep cleaner edges.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,256
    Whatever you do, make sure you use a solvent to remove the grease and oil (from cooking) off the ceramic or the adhesive won't stick.

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yeah...that's a given. The black Rutland stuff is water soluble so is destined to fail no matter how clean the surface is.
    ·
    Whatever you do, make sure you use a solvent to remove the grease and oil (from cooking) off the ceramic or the adhesive won't stick.
    Thanks, forgot to mention that.  After sanding the gasket surfaces I wiped them down with denatured alcohol.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Duh, so the permatex is the gasket?
    ·
    Duganboy said:
    Duh, so the permatex is the gasket?
    Yes, its sold in Auto Parts stores to use instead of a paper or other gasket in car engines.  It dries to a pencil-eraser consistency.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    @Botch thanks man! I kept looking for a post with the gasket on it!!!!
    ·