Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Permatex Copper Gasket Install w/pics

BotchBotch Posts: 2,140
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I almost let another winter sneak up on me before replacing my pizza-fried felt gasket.  As you can see my gasket was actually falling off in places:

It took me less than two minutes to scrape both top and bottom clean:

imageI then sanded the surfaces smooth with 100-grit on a sanding block.  Cut through the green glaze in a couple spots but no biggie:

imageLayed down a thick bead of the gasket maker, leaving a short blank spot in front.  Covered with Saran Wrap, then laid a 1/8" stick in the blank spot.  I was concerned that the weight of the lid would force too much goop out the sides, the stick ensured the Permatex gasket would be the same thickness as the original felt (in retrospect I'm not sure this was necessary...)
The next day I lifted the lid and removed the Saran Wrap.  There were a few thin spots, plus the blank spot where the stick had been.  I filled these in with more Permatex (used about a tube and a third here on the Large), layed more Saran Wrap down, lowered the lid and left it for two days this time (parts were still tacky after 24 hours, but it is a bit cool outside now).  

This afternoon, I lifted the lid to this:

imagePeeled off the Saran Wrap, and it looked like I had good coverage!  I'll leave the lid open a couple more days, then trim the Permatex flush, at least on the outside.  

The whole operation didn't take long at all (save letting the stuff cure).  I know someone on this forum did a much neater job by routing a ring in a piece of wood and pre-forming the Permatex in the wood, then attaching it later.  I chose this method as the seal against the top should be ideal.  Was going to lay a bead on the lid surface too, but realized it'll seal just as well this way.  

Anxious to try it out this weekend!  
imageimageimageimage
Fried Gasket.jpg
3872 x 2592 - 983K
Gasket Removal.jpg
3872 x 2592 - 1M
Sanded smooth.jpg
3872 x 2592 - 879K
Two days later!.jpg
3872 x 2592 - 1M
Success!.jpg
3872 x 2592 - 887K
Beaded.jpg
3872 x 2592 - 1M

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.

Ogden, Utard.  

Comments