April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets
, pulled pork
and chicken wings
? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.
Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340
Just bought LBGE. Here are the results!
So here is a brief first post. Bought the Large on Thursday and was pleased but not 100%. Here are a few of my observations.
- 2 of the 7/16 screws and and nuts were stripped. (The ones that attach the band to the hinge) Had to call the dealer and get some replaced at no charge.
- The bag of lump from BGE had a 12in (approx) piece of aluminum band in it.
- There were several spots (nicks) on the egg that were not covered with a green glaze.
- The bands dont exactly fit in the middle of the rim of the dome and bottom piece.
- The fire ring had 3 rectangle notches cut out for the plate setter which was unexpected andvery nice.
- After my first cook I still smell a residue in the egg. Not sure if that is normal. Used green hickory for smoke.
- The temp held extremely well.
- Best of all the 5 pounds of pork loin that smoked at 300 dome temp came out perfect. I pulled it at 145 after prep with dry rub and injection.
Overall I am actually very pleased with the performance even though the above has more negative points. I guess its just that I had such high expectations which is never a good thing to have. Below are my before and after pics.
One question though, how long should you wait before throwing the meat on the egg? Just till temp stabilizes or once the smoke clears or another method?