Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought LBGE. Here are the results!

Options
SmokingOzarksBBQ
SmokingOzarksBBQ Posts: 151
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So here is a brief first post. Bought the Large on Thursday and was pleased but not 100%. Here are a few of my observations. 

• 2 of the 7/16 screws and and nuts were stripped. (The ones that attach the band to the hinge) Had to call the dealer and get some replaced at no charge.
  • The bag of lump from BGE had a 12in (approx) piece of aluminum band in it.
  • There were several spots (nicks) on the egg that were not covered with a green glaze. 
  • The bands dont exactly fit in the middle of the rim of the dome and bottom piece.
  • The fire ring had 3 rectangle notches cut out for the plate setter which was unexpected andvery nice.
  • After my first cook I still smell a residue in the egg. Not sure if that is normal. Used green hickory for smoke. 
  • The temp held extremely well. 
  • Best of all the 5 pounds of pork loin that smoked at 300 dome temp came out perfect. I pulled it at 145 after prep with dry rub and injection. 

Overall I am actually very pleased with the performance even though the above has more negative points. I guess its just that I had such high expectations which is never a good thing to have. :) Below are my before and after pics. 

One question though, how long should you wait before throwing the meat on the egg? Just till temp stabilizes or once the smoke clears or another method? 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    IMHO, wait until it is stabilized. When you drop the meat in, 5# loin for example, the dome temp will fall, but recover rather quickly on a stabilized egg. If you haven't reached temp yet, you might be in for some frustration. Once you get to know your egg, when the smoke clears - good smoke, you are good to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I usually use the smell test. When the smoke stops smelling bad, then I know it's ready to go. Kind of hard to describe, but you will know it when you try it.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    show pics of te nicks. shouldnt be any nicks, that could be a problem you may want to address now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Sounds like you got the new style egg with new gasket. Let us know how it holds up.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Here is a pick of the white nick. couple of others on the egg. kinda fuzzy pic sorry.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Just wondering about quality control, I do love my MBGE, it has been a game changer. There are a number of "upstarts" in the kamado business, Primo, Vision, Grill Dome to name a few. When places like Costco start selling these things, BGE market share might be suffering. The prices are coming down given the discounts members of this forum have reported. I was taught that Cost+Profit=Selling Price, and the only variable is Cost. Profit is established by the shareholder and Price by the market. Maybe there have been some not so good cost reductions to this amazing product. 
    Talk to your dealer if you have a concern, for something so new you should not have to talk to the mothership. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!