Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier Rack - Carbon Steel?

Comments

• Franco...How are the backorders coming?

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    @ Chunky_Charc, I'm keeping on top of the machine shop as often as I can, without being a pest.  I just found out they are going through a 3 day ISO 9000 re certification, so I'm sure there isn't much going on.

I'll keep everyone posted as I know more.  I haven't checked the original thread to see what page it's on now.  I'll start a thread to keep everyone informed.

Did you place an order??
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    dlk7 said:

Lit said:

The big Joe is massive. They were cooking on 1 a couple weeks ago at the ace by me and it was impressive.
    I thought the big joe has a 24 inch grate - same as xl bge.

both grates are 24" but the big Joe is much bigger in size. Look in yahoo images for big Joe there's a photo of them next to each other.
  • Lit said:
    Lit said:
    The big Joe is massive. They were cooking on 1 a couple weeks ago at the ace by me and it was impressive.
    I thought the big joe has a 24 inch grate - same as xl bge.
    both grates are 24" but the big Joe is much bigger in size. Look in yahoo images for big Joe there's a photo of them next to each other.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/happymadison/312078_10150376029799187_124409374186_9855530_472585661_n.jpg 2 inches wider: Thicker ceramic 2 Inches deep base - deeper fire box 2 inches taller the dome The gird and diameter are the same.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • CGW1 said:
    @ Chunky_Charc, I'm keeping on top of the machine shop as often as I can, without being a pest.  I just found out they are going through a 3 day ISO 9000 re certification, so I'm sure there isn't much going on.

I'll keep everyone posted as I know more.  I haven't checked the original thread to see what page it's on now.  I'll start a thread to keep everyone informed.

Did you place an order??
    Thanks...and yes I placed an order about a month ago.............I sent you a message from your website maybe a week ago.
  • CGW1 said:

Did you place an order??

Franco, Is it just th large on back order or is the 24 inch XL rack in the same boat?
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • CGW1
    Both sizes as well as shaft kits are sold out :((
  • CGW1 said:

Both sizes as well as shaft kits are sold out :((

Is there any good news from the shop this week?
  • Franco- how many threads do you plan on keeping alive? Seriously dude. Enough.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CGW1
    I haven't started any of these threads, and I'm simply answering questions. I can't help how folks decide to reach out to me.  As i stated a couple posts up from this one...call me, email me, pm me and I'll answer any and all questions, I'm not a hard guy to reach.

@ Charcol_Addict I'll send you a pm.
  • CGW1 said:

I haven't started any of these threads, and I'm simply answering questions. I can't help how folks decide to reach out to me.  As i stated a couple posts up from this one...call me, email me, pm me and I'll answer any and all questions, I'm not a hard guy to reach.

@ Charcol_Addict I'll send you a pm.

I have nothing against you as you clearly know by my support of you and Tom in my posts, but to say you are only answering questions is disingenuous at best. You drive these threads like crazy. In the big one you kept saying how you wanted to drive the count up and tou did it for weeks on end. I don't see Tom chasing post counts on here and he has just as many loyal curomers as you. Seriously, enough is enough. Tell people to contact you on your site and keep your good standing on here. God knows I have :)
  • jedawa
    jedawa Posts: 24
    I guess I'm a rookie and don't understand what the problem is? A guy running a small business along with a lot of forum members are excited to talk about a product. Sounds all-American to me? I like Franco's enthusiasm, and he makes a great product that everyone is happy with. What's the downside? Everyone still has plenty of threads to talk about whatever they want. Personally I love free enterprise, free speech, and good honest entrepreneurs. God bless America!
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • Might I suggest that there are quite a few people who are very interested in this product.  They seek Franco for advice, delivery estimates and status reports on the next production batch.  There's nothing wrong with that and I believe there's nothing wrong with Franco answering those inquiries right here.  I do not have a 2 tier rack, but I want one and I enjoy reading the back and forth of the conversation on these threads because I'm interested.  If anybody is not interested, then may I suggest you stay away from the thread.  You are not required to click on it against your will.  It's just like TV.  If you don't like a program or chanel, then stay away from it or turn the boob tube off altogether.  I don't understand why a small group of people start squawking about how they're offended about something and desire the power to regulate content others enjoy when that small group has the power to ignore it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jedawa
    jedawa Posts: 24
    "I don't understand why a small group of people start squawking about how they're offended about something and desire the power to regulate content others enjoy when that small group has the power to ignore it." +1, Amen
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • Does non carbon steel exist? What is the material used for these grates? Mild sheet or? Do u have an in house water jet, or out source it (you made reference to the "machine shop") I looked at the website, it does not specify I am not trying to stir anything up, I just would like more info. PM me with a response if u like, I'm interested in your product
  • CGW1
    @ sincity, I sent you that pm you requested. Let's stay on point here regarding the carbon steel as this thread is titled.
  • Does anyone have pics of High temp sears done on the CFW2 set-up. All the pics I've seen are low and slows and pizza's. It would cool to see how well the searing compares to Cast Iron grates.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Does anyone have pics of High temp sears done on the CFW2 set-up. All the pics I've seen are low and slows and pizza's. It would cool to see how well the searing compares to Cast Iron grates.
    Search the "Swing Rack" thread. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Does the swing rack have to sit on the fire ring to be stable. The Indirect for the Kamado Joe doesn't allow a grid to sit anywhere but flush with the felt line. All the pics I see of the CGW-2 are on on the fire ring. It's likey I'll need to purchase a spider for my Big Joe for indirects with the CGW-2.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I think you can use the grate on top of heat deflector with or w/out the ceramic deflector. It should still be stable even at felt line. My question is the need for shorter shafts when lowering the swing rack.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I use mine at the felt line by putting the woo under it.
  • I just did my first cook on the swing grate. Spactchcock chicken, direct heat, 375, raised swing grate sitting atop the Woo that has a ring for a wok on the bottom. The main grate was at gasket level. On the top grate I had a grill pan with mixed vegetables. Room for improvement next time, but the best whole chicken I have ever made. Also better than the first bird I did last week over indirect heat with the Platesetter.
  • I guess I'm a rookie and don't understand what the problem is? A guy running a small business along with a lot of forum members are excited to talk about a product. Sounds all-American to me? I like Franco's enthusiasm, and he makes a great product that everyone is happy with. What's the downside? Everyone still has plenty of threads to talk about whatever they want. Personally I love free enterprise, free speech, and good honest entrepreneurs. God bless America!
    He's a good dude and runs a good business. This is not a commercial site. He knows the rules and has blatantly blown by them. If you are interested in the products as many of us are, go to his website and contact his directly. This is not a CGW ad site. Period. I
    Might I suggest that there are quite a few people who are very interested in this product.  They seek Franco for advice, delivery estimates and status reports on the next production batch.  There's nothing wrong with that and I believe there's nothing wrong with Franco answering those inquiries right here.  I do not have a 2 tier rack, but I want one and I enjoy reading the back and forth of the conversation on these threads because I'm interested.  If anybody is not interested, then may I suggest you stay away from the thread.  You are not required to click on it against your will.  It's just like TV.  If you don't like a program or chanel, then stay away from it or turn the boob tube off altogether.  I don't understand why a small group of people start squawking about how they're offended about something and desire the power to regulate content others enjoy when that small group has the power to ignore it.
    This is not
    Might I suggest that there are quite a few people who are very interested in this product.  They seek Franco for advice, delivery estimates and status reports on the next production batch.  There's nothing wrong with that and I believe there's nothing wrong with Franco answering those inquiries right here.  I do not have a 2 tier rack, but I want one and I enjoy reading the back and forth of the conversation on these threads because I'm interested.  If anybody is not interested, then may I suggest you stay away from the thread.  You are not required to click on it against your will.  It's just like TV.  If you don't like a program or chanel, then stay away from it or turn the boob tube off altogether.  I don't understand why a small group of people start squawking about how they're offended about something and desire the power to regulate content others enjoy when that small group has the power to ignore it.

I'm not offended and by all accounts Franco is a stand up guy. BUT, he's essentially running his business on somebody else's website. He should have his own forum where you guys can check on products and ship dates etc. He should not be involved in the conversations. It's not fair to to all the other guys who play by the rules (and it is a rule that you cannot sell on here). Look at the difference in their answers and his. Theirs are "call me and I'll get you an answer". His are "Let's see how high we can get the post count". They honor the spiriit of the forum and don't constantly sell on here. It's gotten out of hand and I'm not a fan. This is not a customer service or sales site for CGW. That's all I'm saying. If you guys want to talk Swing Rack on 50 threads, knock yourselves out. it just should not be a commercial thread and he should not be actively sellling on here. If that't the way you want it, Then you are going to have 50 dudes hawking stuff on here all the time. I think it's a cool product and I'll probably buy one. I'll do it on his site and call him when I have a question
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I get what you are saying regarding the thread count. However, I really honestly think Franco is just answering questions. I think the original swing rack thread blew up and Franco was not ready for such a commanding response. I also would assume that as a small business man, Franco got a little excited and encouraged folks to continue taking about the product. I know that if my construction business suddenly got slammed with orders, I'd be excited.

Perhaps bad form, perhaps lots of excitement. I personally enjoyed reading the posts and it gave me great info about the product. Most of which came from customers.

I respect your knowledge and posts on this forum. I don't want to start bad blood or have any drama. I'm just offering another perspective.

Respectfully,
    Mark
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited August 2012
    I think Franco has been great so far and I haven't seen him pitch any products publicly. All he's done is answer questions in this thread on a accessory eggheads and other Cermaic brand owners have questions about the CGW2. Cool toys are where it's at.
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker I get what you are saying regarding the thread count. However, I really honestly think Franco is just answering questions. I think the original swing rack thread blew up and Franco was not ready for such a commanding response. I also would assume that as a small business man, Franco got a little excited and encouraged folks to continue taking about the product. I know that if my construction business suddenly got slammed with orders, I'd be excited. Perhaps bad form, perhaps lots of excitement. I personally enjoyed reading the posts and it gave me great info about the product. Most of which came from customers. I respect your knowledge and posts on this forum. I don't want to start bad blood or have any drama. I'm just offering another perspective. Respectfully, Mark

I agree.  However it started, it has become a topic of interest and people are interested.  Franco is providing information in response from inquiries from forum members.  I suspect that most people have read the threads and have the information they want about the product so the threads' place of prominence on this forum is waning.

I also agree with your point Cen-Tex that we don't want 50 guys hawking their stuff here.  I also apologize for getting a little chippy.  I enjoy reading what you post because you have good incite and information and you're entertaining.  

Flint, Michigan
  • CGW1
    I do have my own forum.
  • I have no complaints on this. An entrepreneur, selling a made in USA product, niche market, 24/7 responding to questions from a bunch of obsessive grill lunatics (I say that kindly being in the group myself). On other forums, they have an advertiser's or sponsor's subforum to deal with these issues.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Blah blah..... Blah blah blah, blah blah......... Blah blah blah. (sung to the tune of lady gaga "bad romance".)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CGW1 said:
    I do have my own forum.

Then use your own damn forum and stop using this forum as a driving force to pimp your wares (you have--look at that thread will you bump the thread time after time to the top after it left the first page telling everyone to talk more about it so it can stay on the front page).  Getting real old.  Maybe a call to corporate by a few will stop this guy from deliberately breaking the rules here.

Show some class like your competitor Tom.