Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Spinalis Dorsi - Beef cap steak

NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is your favorite part of a ribeye steak?

For my wife and myself, it is that little c shape outer edge that seems just a little bit tastier.  That is called the spinalis dorsi or cap.

Yesterday, due to a miscommunication with Alexis and me (long story), I started trimming what I thought was a whole strip loin.  Things didn't seem right and as I was trimming off an odd muscle that shouldn't be there, I finally realized that I was cutting a ribeye and I had just halfway removed the whole spinalis dorsi.

After a few choice words, I finished taking it off since I really couldn't put it back on. 

I seasoned it with pepper and Draper's M'ood Enhancer.  I grilled it direct at 450f with a chunk of mesquite tossed in.  Time was about 5 minutes a side.  The internal temps were 122f on the thick end and 135f on the thinner end.

After an appropriate rest, we sliced it up.

It was unbelievable!  The steak strips were pull apart tender.  The extra marbling of this section made for some up the best flavored steak I have ever had.  It never saw a plate, we ate it straight off of the cutting board because it was so irresistibly good.  

On the down side, I now have 9 ribeyes without this part, but I'm sure they'll still be good. 

Comments