Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chuck Roast -First pulled beef- kinda

tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,747
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, up front, sorry no pics.
Well this Sunday with some weird weather up here, I got a chance to try and make some pulled beef.
Ok, a 2.83 lb chuck roast, in the morning I got to use my new injector for the first time with Stubs chipolte butter marinade. Nice vinegar kick in there, not much heat. kinda like a steak sauce without Worcestershire.
Word of caution:  be careful when injecting.I was cleaning marinade off cabinets, and walls! :)

OK, then I put together a rub from the internet of 
brown sugar, 
onion,
garlic,
salt
pepper
cayenne
paprika, 
oregano.

and let sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. I lit the egg around 11:30, once it was burning well, I threw in 3 hunks of hickory, then tossed in plate setter legs up, raised foil lined drip pan, grate, and the roast.
After an hour in some fine hickory smoke (I really need to go wood shopping for variety), it was wrapped in foil, and put back on. 
Cooked till internal temp of 205 after about 5 hours, and when putting the meat into a platter, a ton of au jus poured out.I read that would happen, but was amazed at how much.

OK, when I went to shred it with forks, I noticed the middle was much more tender and juicy than the end. Unfortunately I didn't do the thermapen to see the temp everywhere (was scared of poking too many holes in foil) before pulling. So I kinda chunked it, We served on plain cheap white hamburger rolls, and frozen fries cooked on the grill (smilies for the boy).

But it was still good, and I love the au jus that I was made (people don't loose that stuff!!!). 
Next time I will have to cut the cayenne out for the family, but the Mrs says she now likes pulled beef more than pork
I will cook it at a slightly higher temp, and remember to check in multiple spots before pulling.

Question: When making a hunk of meat like this, or pork butt, should it be tuned on occasion? I didn't for my pork butts, but I think that is a more forgiving meat.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments