Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast -First pulled beef- kinda

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, up front, sorry no pics.
Well this Sunday with some weird weather up here, I got a chance to try and make some pulled beef.
Ok, a 2.83 lb chuck roast, in the morning I got to use my new injector for the first time with Stubs chipolte butter marinade. Nice vinegar kick in there, not much heat. kinda like a steak sauce without Worcestershire.
Word of caution:  be careful when injecting.I was cleaning marinade off cabinets, and walls! :)

OK, then I put together a rub from the internet of 
brown sugar, 
onion,
garlic,
salt
pepper
cayenne
paprika, 
oregano.

and let sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. I lit the egg around 11:30, once it was burning well, I threw in 3 hunks of hickory, then tossed in plate setter legs up, raised foil lined drip pan, grate, and the roast.
After an hour in some fine hickory smoke (I really need to go wood shopping for variety), it was wrapped in foil, and put back on. 
Cooked till internal temp of 205 after about 5 hours, and when putting the meat into a platter, a ton of au jus poured out.I read that would happen, but was amazed at how much.

OK, when I went to shred it with forks, I noticed the middle was much more tender and juicy than the end. Unfortunately I didn't do the thermapen to see the temp everywhere (was scared of poking too many holes in foil) before pulling. So I kinda chunked it, We served on plain cheap white hamburger rolls, and frozen fries cooked on the grill (smilies for the boy).

But it was still good, and I love the au jus that I was made (people don't loose that stuff!!!). 
Next time I will have to cut the cayenne out for the family, but the Mrs says she now likes pulled beef more than pork
I will cook it at a slightly higher temp, and remember to check in multiple spots before pulling.

Question: When making a hunk of meat like this, or pork butt, should it be tuned on occasion? I didn't for my pork butts, but I think that is a more forgiving meat.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    bigger piece is easier to cook, 205 is really at the low end for pulled beef, you'll get an easier pull if you let it go to 210, even 215 in the foil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    what dome temp?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tazcrash
    Thanks for the tip on the temp. Looking forward to the next try, and the fact that it replaced the wife's favorite BBQ meat, means it will happen sooner. :)

what dome temp?
    Well I can tell you that my dome thermometer needs calibration. I'm guessing my tuning the dome thermometer might be effecting the setting.
    I had the grate temp stabilized at about 250 when I left with my son to get him some fishing gear, and myself a license, and the while I was out the Mrs was watching the maverick, and closed up the vents to get it to stabilize at about 225. 
    When I came home and saw it, I left it figuring it could hurt anything but the finish time.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    No pictures ?  So, this was a dream you had?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    edited June 2012
    LOL, thanks VI.
    If these were dreams I wouldn't have the build of a retired offensive lineman. :D
    Does my leftovers for lunch count? It may not look like anything edible now, but Ill post more pics when i plate on my (extremely cheap) rolls. ;)
    BTW, putting in for worst plating pic right here! LOL.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    taz,

You are the ANTI-VI when it comes to presentation! 
    :))

It's ok, that just makes you one of us. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • next time, wrap in plastic wrap before injecting and punch through the plastic. it will save you the mess

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    next time, wrap in plastic wrap before injecting and punch through the plastic. it will save you the mess

thanks, will remember that one!

taz,

Wait till you see my lunch presentation! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • taz,

It's ok, that just makes you one of us. 

=))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    The word ANTI better be used when mentioning my plating and VI's.
    Hows this?
    Unfortunately my baby carrot tower kept falling. Lol.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Nice fine china
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Eggbertsdad
    edited June 2012
    The word ANTI better be used when mentioning my plating and VI's.
    Hows this?
    Unfortunately my baby carrot tower kept falling. Lol.
    taz,

I did say presentation...not the quality of the cook. I love thick paper plates. Much easier on the clean-up. I also saw what you were trying to accomplish with the carrot stack. 
    :-bd

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tazcrash
    edited June 2012
    Actually I had to borrow the plate and cup from a co-worker for the pic ( glad I didn't have to explain).

I'm a eat straight from the Tupperware, and drink from the can kinda guy. (Like my plating skills don't say that for me already). :D

Actually the meat was more tender and totally fork-able.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    I've made the Wolfe Pit's pulled beef and it was pretty good as far as the taste goes. However, When you make it in a pan the fat had no where to go but into the onions and peppers and made for an interesting night!  :-??