Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoking a pig(let)

IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I may get the job of cooking/smoking a piglet for Greek Easter.  Question, I have an XL, what do you think is the largest (lbs.) I can fit without having to cut it?  Also, I know about cooking to temp, but how long do you think a 30lb piglet at 225-250 would take?  recipes welcome and what temp to pull it.

Comments

• centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    If you cut out some bones you can make it sit upright and you'd likely fit a fairly large one...
    Otherwise, I'm not sure... but I want to cook one too and have an XL so take lots of notes and pictures and post your process please!
  • An Irish Devil cooking American Pig on Greek Easter. I'm all in on that one.

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Do it in the microwave. Cajun microwave that is. Here is an example, but you can make one too.
    http://www.cajunmicrowaves.com/
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Probably be better on the egg though, if you can fit it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Yes, strange I know.  Most of the time they just hide the booze when I am around.  
    I think we are going with a 30-40lber.  I assume this could fit XL.  Or hope anyway.
  • Yes, strange I know.  Most of the time they just hide the booze when I am around.  
    ha-ha. I usually leave them wising they had :)

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
    Damn... those cajun microwaves are expensive... especially compared to a caja china... I've considered buying one and/or making one... just haven't decided which to do...
    That or buying a big ass pit on a trailer to use in comps down here in Texas... one that'd fit a whole hog...
  • @#!*% ... those cajun microwaves are expensive... especially compared to a caja china... I've considered buying one and/or making one... just haven't decided which to do...
    That or buying a big @#!*% pit on a trailer to use in comps down here in Texas... one that'd fit a whole hog...
    Love to have a caja china!
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    any updates on this?!?!?!?
    Nothing yet, I have to get it this weekend and cook it.  This is assuming the party host goes through with it.  
    So it looks like it is gonna be a 25-30lber clean.  Need help, all info you can give.  Should I rub? I assume 250 temp, how long about (total cook).  Do I wrap any parts with aluminum foil?  Inject etc...  Please add what you know.  Thanks  
    25-30# may fit on XL without any manipulation...
    I've never cooked one, but I've read they cook fairly fast...
    I would for sure use a rub, and quite possible inject as well... Take pics and let us know what you learn... I want to cook one so bad... will likely do it depending on how your cook goes!
    So fairly fast as in how long do you think?
  • 25-30# may fit on XL without any manipulation...
    I've never cooked one, but I've read they cook fairly fast...
    I would for sure use a rub, and quite possible inject as well... Take pics and let us know what you learn... I want to cook one so bad... will likely do it depending on how your cook goes!
    no pressure.......................
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,479

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    An Irish Devil cooking American Pig on Greek Easter. I'm all in on that one.

I am there with cen-Tex smoker
    Cookin in Texas
    Ok, here is the plan.  I am going to transport my XL egg to my greek relatives house today.  Wake up tomorrow early and start it there.  I want it to cook perfectly and want to keep an eye on it.  I should only need 30 or 40 people to help lift it into a truck - The Irish Devl has this one under control.  Thanks all.  

In celebration of Greek Easter - My all time favorite Mr. Panos:

• WOW! just what is in that coffee?
  • Ok, here is the plan.  I am going to transport my XL egg to my greek relatives house today.  Wake up tomorrow early and start it there.  I want it to cook perfectly and want to keep an eye on it.  I should only need 30 or 40 people to help lift it into a truck - The Irish Devl has this one under control.  Thanks all.  

In celebration of Greek Easter - My all time favorite Mr. Panos:

That is awesome.....with lemon!

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    He is the best, go to youtube and type Mr. Panos.  He has a bunch of them.  His most recent on the Financial Crisis might be his best yet.
  • He is the best, go to youtube and type Mr. Panos.  He has a bunch of them.  His most recent on the Financial Crisis might be his best yet.
    I'm on it. My wife and I were busting out laughing. Good stuff. let us know how that pig turns out. 
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Hey Irish.  I'm celebrating Greek Easter here as well....BGE style.  Except I just made brisket.  I'll wait til I become more experienced before I try the whole pig.

Great link with Panos.
  • jay75jay75 Posts: 153
    Sweet!...
    Ok, so here are some before pics, naked, yellow and dressed

Naked
    Ahhhhhhh, please post
    Ahhh, they all posted, now yellow
    Now dressed
    So, what temp should I cook it to?  Please provide advise.  I know pulled pork is 195-205, what should i do this to?