Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

favorite fish on the BGE?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Anyone have favorite fish recipe for the BGE? making a push to grill more fish but learning curve is kinda steep.  I am comfortrable cooking to temp with my digital therm, but these ocean dwellers require an extra skill.  Last week I got some fish at whole foods and tried the following:

1) chilean sea bass - with "Dizzy Pig's - shakin the tree" rub - grilled with raised grate @ ~350 for 8 mins per side 

• considered the "ribeye of the sea" so I know its not flakey, but I think I could have gone longer because still very wet/slick???

2) salmon - with "Dizzy Pig's - raging river" rub and finished with maple/butter glaze - grilled with raided grate @ ~350 per the instructions here (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html

• turned out great but need some work removing the skin - fillet was beat to hell before it even hit the hot grill
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• NDG

Also, the Quinoa (pictured with sea bass) was great . . here is the recipe.

NDG QUINOA (apparently, it is the seed of a plant related to spinach, so it is not a true grain)

4 ears corn, shucked (can use frozen instead if you want)

1 T finely grated lemon zest

2 T fresh lemon juice

1/2 stick butter, melted

1 T honey

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cups quinoa

4 scallions chopped

1/2 cup chopped fresh mint

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Cook corn until just tender, run under cool water, cut kernels off cobs.

Whisk together lemon juice, zest, butter, honey salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined.

Rinse quinoa and cook according to directions on package (usually 2 c water to 1 cup quinoa).

Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed. Then stir in corn, scallions and mint. Add additional salt/pepper to taste.

Before serving, sprinkle salad with crumbled feta.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    When you do salmon if you cook it on the skin the flesh should come off easily or all by itself. Sablefish (black cod) is my favourite.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NDG

Ok, the Dizzy Pig recipe says to remove the salmon skin first to expose extra surface area for the spices . . . but the recipe is not lacking flavor with a thick rub then butter/maple glaze, so I will keep skin on next time.

LITTLE STEVEN . . . . . I was checking out Sablefish (black cod) and looks excellent - found a few spicey recipes from a simple google search.  Do you have suggestions for spices, grill temp, grill time, etc?

Columbus, OH

• jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    seared yellow fin tuna steaks.

salmon, always wild.

save wild salmon, eat wild salmon.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Red Snapper

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Sablefish is quite expensive and has amazing flavour. Just a little salt, pepper, butter and lemon zest for me. Time depends on the thickness but like the salmon it's done when the skin releases

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Redfish on the half shell, Leave scales on filets,rub with VOO and apply Cajun seasoning. Scales side down,
    Cook direct 400f four or five minutes or until meat is firm. When ready to serve just slide filets to plate with spatula,toss the skin and scales and serve it up with hush puppies and Gouda cheese grits.
    Pensacola,FL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    By all means, leave the skin on the salmon if you like it better that way! Also, if you have a nice firm piece of fish, I love cooking direct over a hot bed of coals at 450 or more. Just enough to brown heavily, then flip. You almost need to pull fish off before you think it is done. Overcooking is its worst enemy!

BTW, thanks for sprinkling our stuff on your hard earned meat! 

I am also a fan of chilean sea bass and salmon.  But I'm a bigger fan of Halibut!

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Halibut, mahi mahi and tuna
  • I do Salmon on a Cedar plank. I buy the Salmon at Costco and it comes with a really good pesto basil butter. I first cover the salmon with Pearl Street Plank Rub from Savory Spice Shop(can buy at their website) then dice up the butter and place it all over the fish. I soak a cedar plank for an hour or so and before I put the fish on it I brush with a little olive oil. Cook the salmon on the plank at 350 direct for about 18-22 minutes depending on thickness of the cut. I do not flip the fish and it comes out perfect every time.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Nature boy, what is your halibut recipe? I love halibut also but you've got to be careful, so easy to overcook.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    What Nature Boy said!

I love Salmon from Sams, Costco, Price Club (depends where you are in the country). These fillets do not have skin on them. This last week I fired up the grill and got the dome to 500 with the grate in place then dropped the temp to 400. Olive oil and Tony's Lemon Pepper seasoning on the fish. Set in directly on the grate with direct heat for about 3 - 5 min. Used a large spatula running along with the grate, you need to think about this before you put the fish on head to tail in alignment with the grate, just like a steak when it has seared/cooked properly it will come right off the grate and not stick at all. Flip over, gently, and the same treatment on the other side. Served with some sautéed asparagus, mushrooms, and bacon. Delicious.

Plenty of left overs so we have salmon fish tacos last night, wow!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • burr_baby33
    DMurf you are definitely doing it the right way. I also cook salmon skinless direct on the grid. I like a little alder wood smoke. Salmon is the only thing I use the alder for but it really enhances salmon.
  • NDG

BURR BABY  . . . your picture is ridiculous - is that salmon?

Columbus, OH

• burr_baby33
    No, not salmon. It is a striper. They are salt water fish that can live in fresh water. I have a lake house on Lake Cumberland (Kentucky). The lake has a good population of stripers. They do not reproduce in our lake so fish and wildlife department stocks about 250,000 fingerlings per year. I get to catch them every other week. Kind of got it made. They are excellent on the plate, grilled or fried. Going to Alaska for salmon and halibut again this August, my 12th trip to Alaska.
  • MO_Smoke1
    MO_Smoke1 Posts: 21
    Even though it is nothing fancy I just cooked some tilapia and it was great. Soy sauce, garlic salt, and cavenders. Money!
  • NDG

Little Steven . . . I just bought two beautiful pieces of Sablefish (black cod) so I will send pics after our cook tonight. Think I am going with this recipe.

Grilled Black Cod with Fried Garlic and Chiles

A sprinkle of sea salt, a splash of vinegar or olive oil—these are the seasonings favored by the majority of Basque grill masters. Consider this simple grilled cod topped with olive oil and fried garlic—inspired by Beti-Jai ("always a holiday"), a popular restaurant tucked away in the warren of narrow streets in the old quarter of Donostia-San Sebastián.
    6 servings

Recipe by Steven Raichlen

Photograph by Hans Gissinger

July 2009
    Grilled Black Cod with Fried Garlic and Chiles

Ingredients

• 67- to 8-ounce black cod fillets (about 1 inch thick)
    • Coarse kosher salt
    • 6tablespoonsextra-virgin olive oil (preferably Spanish)
    • 4garlic cloves, thinly sliced crosswise
    • 1dried guindilla chile, crumbled, or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    • 3tablespoonschopped fresh Italian parsley
    • special equipment

Fish grill basket (optional)
    • Ingredient Tip:

The traditional chile for the garlic sauce is guindilla, a small, elongated, medium-hot Spanish chile that's usually sold dried. This chile may be difficult to find, but ordinary dried crushed red pepper makes an excellent substitute.

Preparation

• Lightly brush fish grill basket with oil (if using), or brush grill rack with oil, and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle fish on both sides with coarse salt and pepper. Place fish in grill basket (if using) or directly on grill rack, skin side down. Grill fish until opaque in center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to platter; cover to keep warm.
    Heat 6 tablespoons oil in small skillet over high heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant and light golden, about 1 minute. Add crumbled chile or crushed red pepper; stir 15 seconds. Immediately pour garlic-chile oil over fish. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/07/grilled_black_cod_with_fried_garlic_and_chiles#ixzz1qtgEFKxY

Columbus, OH

• Little Steven

NDG,

Cool! Let us know how you like it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sea bass is done when it begins to flake apart with a fork.  If you can't flake it, it's still not quite done in the middle.  It's not like salmon, which is delicious medium rare.  Sea bass needs a med well.  Besides, it has so much fat in it, it doesn't dry out.  Sea bass and shrimp are my favs on the BGE.  
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    striper:
    grilled

and pan fried

planked salmon is always good

baby octopus

and daddy octopus

then chopped and served with dressing

scallops three ways

cherrystones with smoke til they pop

and seafood paella

grilled halibut

and fishlessman's fantastic recipe for tuna with blue  berries

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NDG

Little Steven . . .

I just realized that the Sablefish (black cod) has pin bones along the centerline . . do I remove this before or after grilling?  Also, what is the best method to remove?

Columbus, OH

• NDG

Good suggestion, turned out very nice . . .  

Columbus, OH

• NDG

why are my pictures so G.D. small ?

Columbus, OH

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Did u upload from a pgone?
    If u click on it you should get a larger version.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • burr_baby33
    I think I'm gonna wait for an invitation to dinner at Stike's.
  • Little Steven . . .

I just realized that the Sablefish (black cod) has pin bones along the centerline . . do I remove this before or after grilling?  Also, what is the best method to remove?

I do it before with (sanitized) needle nose pliers. Our market usually does it for us but I've had to do it plenty of times as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Me its Artic Char is my favorite fish on the Egg!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    I surprised to read that so many flip the fish; I thought one of the features of a well-preheated egg was that it cooked from all sides evenly... 

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Little Steven

NDG,

The fish monger should have taken out the pin bones. Most fish have them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON