Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

LC-inspired Peking Duck (pic heavy)

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,733
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
LC, thanks for the inspiration and recipe, I finally did my peking duck this weekend, not as good as yours but passable. Not sure I'll do it again any time soon though, WAY too much work and mess!

link to LC's original post...
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1081731

a little digression, ribs from last night...

11d4f483.jpg

royal bath ingredients...

bb92cb96.jpg

ece21aef.jpg

rather than dunking, i poured over the bird set on a grid over a large basin in the sink, reboiled and poured again. repeated 3 or 4 times...

3729ddd1.jpg

after drying in fridge overnight...

5d81e19d.jpg

my variation, after the overnighter, it looked and smelled kind of bland, so i brushed the bird lightly with wife's favourite home blend duck sauce just before egging...

3429f0eb.jpg

propped up the breasts and legs with foil-wrapped plumbing copper to maximise skin exposure and reduce cleavage...

c94b4172.jpg

777fbdfc.jpg

used TJV's AR for the cook, pizza stone on level 1 with plumbing copper and shallow drip pan, bird on level 3, threw in two chunks of cherry and started cooking at 375, unfortunate I got distracted by the Birthday Mini Egg (see another post to come) and the temp ran high to 425. pulled at 190+ legs and 160+ breasts...

582826d4.jpg

cb5df56e.jpg

DW making the pancakes...

f7594cf1.jpg

leg skin very crispy and no fat, breast skins not as crispy but still good, see the fat under the breast skin? should've watched the temp and give it more time to render the fat, also wondered if piercing the breast skin and blanching longer would've helped. meat was juicy and delicious...

46063bd1.jpg

9f9cf0ce.jpg

to summarise, it was a fun and tasty cook in spite of the work and mess. bonus: collected lots of liquid gold (duck fat!), meat for lettuce wrapped duck tomorrow, bones for soup!

thanks for reading this far, have a great week! and thanks again to LC!

Gary
Vaughan, ON, Canada

Comments