Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sirlion tip roast

Hsbldr1
Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to give it a try today. coming up to room temp as I type. My question is everything i read says cook at 300 but i am wondering why not low and slow like a brisket or pork shoulder.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    No fat.

Beef, Roast, Sirloin Tip, RRP

This marinade injection recipe was gleaned from a post made in 2003 by Jim Minion and preparation and cooking came from here, there and beyond.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lb Sirloin Tip Roast - cut the fat cap off and remove any silver tissue
    In a sauce pan mix the following and then bring to a boil
    2 cups of bottled water
    1 Tbs beef broth crystals
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    1/8 cup soy sauce
    1 tsp savory
    1 Tbs Chinese pepper sa-te' oil aka Chinese hot oil
    2 whole bay leafs floated on top

Procedure:
    1 Allow marinade to cool to room temperature - in fact I made it the night before and that worked fine. Using a food syringe thoroughly inject the marinade into the meat.
    2 Wet the outside of the meat with Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle on DP Cow Lick rub. Coat entire roast with a thin coat of yellow mustard. Insert a Polder for temp monitoring.
    3 Fire up your BGE to a stable 250 dome. Smoke is good for this recipe and I selected cherry.
    4 Place meat directly on grill for 25 minutes during the heaviest smoking period. Remove and place meat on an auxillary grate resting on a pan with 1/2" of boiling hot water and return to your BGE. Time wise it took 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach an internal temp of 130. Do NOT let the meat get hotter than 132 at most as it will continue to cook even when removed. Trust me at 140 and above that cut of meat turns to shoe leather!
    5 Let sit on counter tented in foil to allow juices to stablize. Using a meat slicer is best, but if not available use a sharp knife and carve across the grain in 1/4" slices. You will find this to be tasty and tender - both hot now served with au jus and then cold later as sandwiches.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Marinade, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: RRP

Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 2006/01/28

Sitting time should be at least 30 minutes up to 1 hour - I left my temp probe in place and with 25 minutes just sitting on the counter it peaked at 139 degrees and then started to back down slowly.
  • Hsbldr1
    Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    It is just that simple. Sometimes the answer to what seems to be a complex question can make the asker feel down right stupid! :P Thanks as always. The knowledge I find here never ceases to amaze me.