Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Peanuts Shelf Life

Options
BigBlueEgg
BigBlueEgg Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Purchased some green peanuts a few weeks ago in GA. How long will they last before needing to be cooked? I've already boiled one batch and would like to do another this weekend if they haven't gone bad.

Comments

• outrageous
    Options
    i am not sure they will keep several weeks......i hoped you kept in frig to keep cold. i think they would keep couple of weeks in frig. try a small batch and boil and see

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• outrageous
    Options
    some people will freeze fresh green peanuts , and boil later on whenever they feel like it....i always boil first and then freeze but may try this other method.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    Oh my..........send them to me!!! You can't get green peanuts here in Texas. I love boiled peanuts! I remember my parents keeping the green peanuts for at least a couple of weeks. They freeze great once boiled. Just dump them back in boiling water for a few minutes to heat them back up. I'm so jealous!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My grandaddy used to grow peanuts.He would hang up several plants in the barn to dry and leave them til the next year and use them for seed.I would think that as long as you kept them hanging up somewhere in a mesh bag that they would be fine.Try Google. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That other post was meant for BBE. :blush:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Go to Walmart in the produce section, they sell raw peanuts with instructions on how to boil them. I've boiled roasted peanuts and had as good results as raw ones. -RP
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    They will keep several weeks in the fridge. I usually boil them all and freeze if I'm doing green ones. I boil seversl hundred pounds of dried ones a year. I just soak them like dried beans and boil. There is a company here in Georgia that have cold storage warehouses so they have green to boil all year so I been told. Boiled peanuts will freeze well.

Eatin' goober peas,
    Poppasam
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    Really? I didn't know that and I've only seen the roasted peanuts, so obviously I haven't looked good enough. I'll be making a trip this weekend. Thanks!