Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

re:roast beef question

Options
Hsbldr1
Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So great info certianly going to give one a try. My last question may seem repetitive but I am looking for is what you would expect to see sliced for sandwiches in a deli that is what I want to do with the left overs. This sounds silly when i type it but I dont think i am looking for "prime rib" like you would expect in a steak house. wow did I really say that :unsure:

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    You are trying to select your holiday roast based on what you want for left overs?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Top Round,Eye of round,REALLY,REALLY thin. ;) Hard to slice it thin enough tableside.It makes GREAT RB sammiches sliced paper thin.MAIN thing is DO NOT OVERCOOK!!!Pull at 125 Internal,rest 10-15 mins or so and slice THIN!!! :) I'm sure others will chime in with better suggestions.That's what makes this Forum GREAT!You can ALWAYS get a plethora of ideas. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    He must be hosting the "Inlaws" :laugh: (just funnin)
  • Hsbldr1
    Options
    no. but what i am trying to serve is a roast that i remember my great grandmother serving when i was a child. What i remember the most is greatmama sending everyone home with the leftovers. I guess i was to excited about opening presents to remember the sit down meal that day but i will never forget the thin slices i would grab and eat the next few days. :woohoo:
  • Hsbldr1
    Options
    haha that is too funny!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    top round is good for the deli sandwiches however if your going for a holiday meal i might go with the tenderloin, it will slice nice but it wont have all the flavor that the top round gives to deli roast. heres some deli beef from the top round. its better to slice deli beef after its cooled down in the fridge and you do need a slicer with this piece, its a huge roast thats hard to slice thin with a roast, the ones i get must be around 14 to 16 pounds

DSC_0016_00.jpg

fbe40804.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Heres an idea, do both a tender loin or rib roast and a comparable sized eye of round at the same time? Best of both worlds.

Doug
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If you buy a company sized roast from a supermarket or other grocer and ask them in advance if you can bring it in and get the leftovers sliced thin, they will probably do it.
    Just a thought :unsure: