Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix brand lump

BarBQBud
BarBQBud Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Publix has just opened a new store near us in Dothan, AL, and i bought some store brand lump today. 8.8 lbs for $5.99. is that a good price. anybody have any experience with this charcoal? Happy BBQing.

Comments

• Hi BBQBud
    I have used their lump in a pinch and was happy with it. Not the best, but not the worst. It makes for a good cook. Try it and let us know what you think.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I bought about 100 #'s a year or so ago and use it sometimes,no problems to date. It was on sale for
    I think, about $3.95/bag, think 4 kilos. I try to buy lump around $.50/per pound or less.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have some right now. Not bad- get's the job done. I prefer Kroger brand. It seems to burn more evenly/consistently.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Publix and Kroger Brand are both made by Royal Oak, same as BGE, all the same stuff. I use the Publix in Florida and the Kroger in Cincinnati, don't buy anything else :) :P :cheer:
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Considering we are in challenging economic times I have gone completely to Publix lump in the last few months. I used to use the BGE brand which is $25 bucks for 20lbs after tax. I like the unit price much better at 2 8lbs bags of Publix for around $12. In doing the research it is my understanding the BGE charcoal is the same as Publix since I believe it is all made by Royal Oak.

In my opinion, the only difference you may notice is you seem to get more inconsistency in the range of size of the lump pieces in the Publix brand from bag to bag. Sometimes you get a good mix of large, medium and small pieces and sometimes you get more heavily weighted in the smaller pieces and fines. It really has not been a problem since I buy two bags at a time and they seem to even out over 16-18 lbs. The BGE bags seem to be better picked through and sorted by hand such they it is the better lump produced in any batch. However, once you get it in the egg and light it up I notice no difference. Maybe that is why you pay the premium for BGE lump, Well that and the fact it has the BGE Logo on the bag! :laugh:

Frankly I would rather save the money, use Publix lump and be able to cook more.

However to each their own as long as you are egging, that is the important part! ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have used Big Green Egg lump and I have used Publix I currently use Royal Oak in the red bag at Wall-mart and they are all made by Royal Oak. I am very use to "Royal Oak" How it burns and what smoke flavor I can get out of it. I have to say in my bias opinion I like it very much.

I have used Cowboy a time or two. I keep a bag for times when I want a hot fast burning fire with very little smoke flavor like for baking.

I have a stash of Wicked Good but, I have no opinion of it because I have not burned any yet.

I personally don't think you can go wrong buying and cooking with "Royal Oak" aka Green Wise. Tim ;)
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    It's all I use. Cheap and right down the road. Pegs the thermometers in both the small and large no problem. Two thumbs up from me :)
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Like many have said here already, the Publix brand is pretty good. I have had some consistency issues with it when you compare it to BGE brand.

Even if Publix, Kroger and BGE are all made by Royal Oak; I will continue to use BGE brand. I have used several different brands but I always come back to BGE.