Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something Off Topic, But Will Make You Smile

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I consider all you fine folks part of my extended family and I just had to share this with you all. My wife and I have a couple of horses here at the house and one of them (Toby) was gone for about a week and a half for some training. The other horse left behind (Star) was beyond depressed the entire time.

We brought Toby home this past Tuesday and had the video camera ready. We had no idea that any animal could express such human emotions. See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oy1AxErSeE

Comments

• Beautiful...

Spring "Ain't Love A Wonderful Thing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Sometimes, I think animals are more human than humans.

The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot.

Mark Twain

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    GeorgiaBorn, thanks for sharing. :) It's always nice when eggers share good news. I've always wanted to get another horse.....one of these days.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Amazing.... great video TKS.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Thank you for that. Made me happy
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Thank you for that. I just need to turn off the news and watch that......
    Very nice...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Made me smile and also brought tears to my eyes it was so loving.....thanks for sharing...
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Thanks for sharing the video. Your horses are just beautiful and that was a wonderful video.
  • That's a great video.Thanks for sharing.Made my day!
    It should be on the end of the evening news.
    I suggest sending it to CBS Sunday Morning show.
    That's a keeper.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Cool video indeed. Thanks.
  • I've been thinking about that video since watching it over an hour ago. Can't get it out of my mind.

Back in another life, I owned a mare. I was told she was a Morgan. She was probably four or five years old at the most.

Before I got her, my grandfather had a mare that was about fifteen years old. She was the only horse on the farm and probably never saw another horse unless some riders came by on the road. She did everything including pulling a plow, a sled, logs, tillers, cultivators, and everything in between. Plus, she walked the cane press every year, sometimes with me 'in charge.' She was also a good saddle horse at full gallop through thick woods when we went looking for our cattle on the open range. She was also good at cutting during branding time. By now you get the message... She was one heck of a horse, but probably very lonely.

Things changed when my horse arrived. The two of them instantly hit it off with no discernible attempts at establishing a pecking order. There was a noticeable change in the pasture. Within hours my grandfather's mare became younger. Yes younger. She would play just as hard and as fast as my horse. They nuzzled each other constantly showing affection and probably gratitude.

At first the older horse liked to take the lead when my grandfather and I rode into the woods. It was swamp land with lots of bogs and cypress knees sticking up making the trek dangerous. Looking back I think old was teaching new how to be safe in the woods. Within weeks the two horses insisted on being side by side, neither wanting to take the lead. Old horse was a good teacher and young horse was a good student.

Unlike my grandfather, I was not a good horseman. But I had a good horse and she more than made up for my lack of skills. I tried to repay her with good brush-downs, curry-combing and snacks. It helped but she knew I wasn't her 'master.'

In time I grew out of my love for the farm life and I began looking forward to seeing where my newly gotten driver's license would take me.

Then one day she was gone and life around the farm was back to one very old, very lonely horse that continued to do what was asked of her without complaint. Then one day she too was gone.

Some things just stick in your mind forever, although tucked away in a corner. Your video brought it all back as if it happened yesterday.

Thank you.

Spring "Chickens Don't Ride Horses, Do They" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • That much happiness is contagious, wonderful video!
    Thanks
  • Spring Chicken, that was one amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing it. I cut and pasted it in an email to my wife, so she could read it.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Thanks for sharing that, it did make me smile. Mother Nature at her finest.
  • That is so cute LOL. Not only are they gorgeous animals but apparently have tight feelings for each other. Very cool!!
    -Eddie
  • Amazing story Spring! Although they are gone, you got some incredible memories out of that. That my friend is what life should be all about!
    -Eddie
  • Well, just thanks a lot guys ! :angry:

The video made me happy, and SC's reply made me cry.

Now, where did I put that damned tequila? :ermm:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• That's just the side effects of going "too green."

You've got chickens in your back yard, so go get you a horse. Even better, get two horses.

Spring "Green Grow The Lilacs All Covered In Dew" Chicken
  • Memories... I've got a million of them. Not all are keepers.

Spring "Woah Brain... Skip Over That Part" Chicken
  • Thank you. But it was your video that brought it all back to life.

Spring "Life Can Be Re-Lived If You Let It" Chicken
  • Yeah, I had already told Pam that I need a pony for the chicken roundup drive to their winter pasture on the other side of the yard. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Thanks to both of you for sharing, made me laugh and cry at the same time :)
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    this might be forum OT....but it's right down my alley. You got my heart....
    I'm down to 2 horses...21 year old QH which I trail ride about 4 times a week...then our 6 year old thorougbred...he's a Seattle Slew grand son. I trailer him weekly for lessons...and when we come home...they act like they've been gone forever...I love the whinny and the kicking up the dust.
    IMG_0463Small.jpg
    RileyandOscar0009Small.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    Now that you've got me started.....I told Randy I'd love to have the green pastures and trees that you have someday...then, he reminded me that I'd have to mow the lawn....
    Great video

Desert Filly...Kim
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    jeez.....Leroy....talk about bringing a tear to my eye. Did you have to go and tell that story? We lost one horse very tragically about 5 years ago...I hate revisiting that moment in time. My QH had eye surgery about 7 years ago, I watched the whole thing...when they finally took the anesthesia off...he wouldn't wake up...then they have to manually pump the air...I freaked out and almost died myself....but all is a happy ending and he loves his rides. I can't imagine not being able to look out my bedroom window and see my boys...there is something special between a girl and her horse.

And you did have a great story too...too bad the ole driver's license got in the way. ha
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    They are obviously not married. :P
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    fun video - thanks for sharing

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Love, Love LOVE that...definately a feel-good after a long week. Thank you for sharing your precious 4-legged lives! :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    pour and simple Joy...thanks for sharing even if it did make me cry LOL
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Thanks so much for posting this ...may be OT, but I'm thankful that you shared it with the forum family. I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing it with my FB friends!!! Absolutely awesome. :)
  • Of all the readers I knew you would appreciate the story. Sorry it brought a tear.

Spring "A Good Story Untold Is A Lost Story" Chicken