Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to find good Q in San DiEGGo?

Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm headed to San Diego next week and thought I would check with the collective wisdom of the forum to identify a good place to go for some BBQ.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Just my 2 cents but the few times I visited the area I went for fresh seafood...

BTW...did you get my email with the Eggtoberfest recipe? I am not sure if I have your current email addy.

Have a great trip...and play La Jolla if you get a chance... :lol::)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If you can't get on Torrey Pines, then look into the Grand Del Mar. That is a terrific layout.

You can also go about 15 miles inland and play a course in Poway called Maderas, but bring an extra box of balls. It's a tight one.

As for food, I have to second Kim's info - seafood is the only way to fly in Sandy Eggo. Of course you can get some terrific Mexican cuisine there as well.

If you really want BBQ I have a few friends out there I can ask for a recommendation.
  • ray356
    ray356 Posts: 26
    There are a few:
    Kansas City Barbeque - 600 W. Harbor Dr downtown
    Phil's BBQ - 3750 Sports Arena Blvd
    Huffman's Bareques - 5039 Imperial Ave - not best area of town but good q
    Bar-B-Que House - 5025 Newport Ave in Ocean Beach

Hope this helps - and yes we have GREAT seafood too

Have fun
  • The BBQ pit in el cajon or national (nasty) city. Good pit beef BBQ. When you order they size you up for your portion, at least in el cajon. (bigger people, bigger plate)
    They have a website.
  • Point Loma Seafoods near Shelter Island. (for seafood)

Dave in Plumas County, formally of La Jolla.
  • Phil's BBQ has been recommended to me by my sister as a place that gets rave reviews. We're going to try it out next month. If you go, there is one in Pt. Loma and one in San Marcos.

http://www.philsbbq.net/
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Thanks. KC BBQ didn't get good reviews on line but I respect the opinion of someone who lives there more than someone who visited once.
  • Wise One
    I'll give it a shot. How are things going?
  • Wise One
    I figured everyone would help with seafood but only this forum could help with Q. try me at bee-one-el-el-double u-one-ess-ee at bellsouth dot net
  • Good, and you? I'm still making the world a safer place for retail checkout. Still married to my wonderful wife (yes, the wife who....). Son is in law school now. You coming up this way ever again on our employer's nickel?
    The Naked Whiz
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    I just returned from a five day stay there on Monday. Saw the sun for maybe 3 hours the whole time, never had that happen before! Some weird low pressure thing hanging off Baja....

While not having not eaten traditional American BBQ in that town I can highly recommend a Korean BBQ place, Sam Woo BBQ in Kearny Mesa. You'll find it inside a 99 Ranch Market Chinese grocery. If you're looking for fancy this is not the place. Should you go, definitely try the duck.

For seafood I recommend Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill, located in San Diego proper.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Take I-15 north to I-70. Stop in Kansas City.