Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pearls....mmmmmm good

WingRider
WingRider Posts: 326
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped into BJs yesterday and by golly, they do carry Pearls Hot Dogs and pastrami. Soooo I sprung for a package of Pearls Dogs. Now my question is, what do those of you who eat Pearls, use for rolls that "fit" the long dogs? :ohmy:
I cheated and cooked the dogs in the Lodge Griddle on the stove, but they were sitll very good :woohoo:

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    First, you have no idea HOW good until you grill them! Second, I can find split tops that fit at the deli counter at stop & shop (if you have one-I think they're in NH too). Hearthstone brand, 8/pack.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WingRider
    Yes, I think that I have seen Stop and Shop in my travels.
    Thanks for the info!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    we can't buy those top slit buns like you can out East. What I resort to are cutting my Pearls in half and placing each half on two thirds of a hot dog bun.
    IMG_1565.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WingRider
    Good idea.
    Thanks
  •  
    Hahaha, I just started getting Pearls at BJ's a week or so ago. Those things are addictive!!! When I lived in Maine I thought the best dogs were the red ones that at the time were made by Jordan's. You could get them anywhere and they were awesome cooked over a campfire. Now I have to admit that Pearls are number one and I am delighted I can get them down here. I don't use a roll/bun but eat them nakid but for a few condiments. I don't think I can get split tops within a thousand miles of here and they are bad for my diabetes no matter how you slice them. I grill mine on the egg on a raised grate at 300º to 350º, turning every 3 or 4 minutes and they are grilled to perfection in about 15 minutes.

I haven't tried the Pearls Pastrami yet but it looks as good as the dogs!

Blair

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    pearls_jumbo_franks.jpg

the buns are but a conveyance. there is no rule that each bite ought to contain both bun and dog....

this way, both the first and last bites are pure pearl
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    haha. last time I had one, too late I discovered my full length split tops were a bit too green and fuzzy for my taste. cut the pearl in half and put both halves on a hamburger bun! any port in a storm. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I think pearl has a red as well....
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Spring water? :whistle:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    tap.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Need more browning on both dogs and buns!! :-)

But i'd eat one right now. Hope all is well out your way Ron.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carolina Q
    Dude - he STEAMS THEM!!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Oh wow. Okay, I'll be on Chicago on a couple weeks. Is that how they do dogs there?

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ