Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

removing XL dome

Options
eggzlot
eggzlot Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to put on a new nomex gasket tomorrow, so I need to remove the dome on my new XL (3rd cook and the felt just fell off due to adhesive issue).

I searched older posts, and people mention white plastic clips. My dealer delivered and built my egg, but did not give me any white clips.

Is it as simple as just loosening the two bolts in the back and lifting the dome off while the dome is in a down (closed) position?

People mention the white clips or zip ties for the spring, but I do not have the white clips, and not sure what I'd be zip tying. I admit, I am not Mr Fix It, and having to change the gasket is enough of a headache, now I am wondering how to get the dome off!

Any help is greatly appreciated for this newbie.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Your locking the bands together so the upper one doesn't spring on you.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    The white clips do come with and are not needed on the XL. The XL has a different hinge system than the others. Mike
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    a xl does not have the plastic locks for the bands. just take off the springs and loosen the back bolt and lift off the egg.
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    as usual - great advice, thanks!

Anything special to remove the springs? Again, I did not assemble the Egg, so not sure how they were put onto the Egg in the first place.
  • Berknip
    Options
    I just assembled my XL egg, and removing the springs should be a piece of cake. First, remove the black spring caps from the end of the springs (save them) if they are installed. Make sure the dome is completely open and hold it up while you tilt the spring ends out of the upper (longer) slot. They should be easy to remove. Once they are out, the dome will have no counter-support, so don't let go of the dome as it will come slamming down - and be prepared for the weight of the dome as you close it.

Reassembly is just the reverse and just as easy.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Don't need no plastic pieces. Just loosen the band bolts and insert a tie-wrap at the handle as shown.

Tiewrap01copy.jpg