Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Soldier's Story

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I received this today from a fellow Veteran. It has been around a couple of times but it is well worth seeing again.

These are the people who make up our military forces. They take dedication and bravery to a much higher level than most people can even imagine.

The story is about Channing Moss, who was impaled by a live RPG during a Taliban ambush while on patrol. Army protocol says that Medivac choppers are never to carry anyone with a live round in him. Even though they feared it could explode, the flight crew said damn the protocol and flew him to the nearest aid station. Again, protocol said that in such a case the patient is to be put in a sandbagged area away from the surgical unit, given a shot of morphine and left to wait (and die) until others are treated. Again, the medical team ignored the protocol.

Here's a short video put together by the Military Times, which includes actual footage of the surgery where Dr. John Oh, a Korean immigrant who became a naturalized citizen and went to WestPoint, removed the live round with the help of volunteers and a member of the EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) team. Moss has undergone six operations but is doing well at home in Gainesville , GA. I think you'll find the video absolutely remarkable.

http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/rpg_surgery/

Spring "Proud to have been a Soldier" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• bitslammer
    Options
    Thank god sometimes people say F*%$ protocol. In an isolated area with multiple wounded, sure I can see pushing someone in this situation aside to work on others, but in this case it sounds like better judgement prevailed. That surgeon must have nerves of steel.
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Thank you to people like yourself, Channing Moss, and all who served past and present. Very good video and Channing seems to have a great attitude after an ordeal like that.
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    Thank GOD for heroes! One of mine is Special Airman, Mark Forester, Haleyville, AL. Mark, 29 yrs. old, was killed in Afghanistan September 29, 2010 while pressing forward under an ambush attack to aid a wounded soldier. The "Missing Man" formation flyover at the beginning of the AL - FL football game on on Oct. 2 was for Mark. He was laid to rest in his hometown on Oct. 7. GOD BLESS ALL OUR HEROES.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    very moving story of courage and humanity. Thanks for sharing, Leroy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.