Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little concerned about my brisket

Options
mcneguy
mcneguy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I put on a 4.5 pound brisked flat about 2 hours ago. Dome temp stabilized at around 250. The temp of the brisked it already 163. Is this too fast to be at that temp? If so, what can I do?

Comments

• BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    what time are you planning on eating?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I prefer brisket flats over packers but one of my rules is not to buy a flat less than 5.5 pounds. I find less than 5.5 and it is hard to get and keep them tender.

I'd just let it go and do its thing. If you are worried about it drying out, you can always foil but at the risk of loosing bark formation. If it comes out tough, chop it instead of slicing it.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'll bet you have a ways to go. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mcneguy
    Options
    It's funny but nearly immediately after writing my original post, it hit 166 and has not moved for about a half hour. I do appreciate everyone helping me though..most helpful forum this..
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That is what I meant. You will be there for a while. Never done a flat alone but pretty sure you have a ways to go.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Most tough pieces of meat hit a plateau between about 155 and 165 degrees and sit there for quite a while. The energy from the fire is converting tough tissues into tender tissues.

Just check often because when it starts to climb, it could go pretty fast for that small of a brisket. Start checking for tenderness around 190.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • mcneguy
    Options
    Well, I went out for lunch with my family for about 2 hours and when I got back, it was 189 so I pulled it off, wrapped it in foil and it is sandwiched between towels in a Coleman cooler. I hope I don't have to order pizza tonight.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Did you check to see if it was tender before pulling it? I start checking at about 190 and don't pull it until it tests tender with a fork.

With a dry piece of meat, you can sometimes wrap it in foil and add broth then put it back on the grill until it gets tender at around 200-205.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA