Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:whole chicken with caper spread

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife picked up a whole yard bird today so decide to do a little cook'en. The raws:
10-4-2010001.jpg

Made up a rub of sea salt,cumman,ginger,pepreka,chili powder,powder garlic and sage.
10-4-2010003.jpg

Be sure and lift the skin away from the meat and place your rub under the skin. You will get a lot more flavor than if you only rub it on top of the skin.
10-4-2010007.jpg

Rubed in EVOO and spiced rub with the juice of one lime squeezed under the skin and half of the lime stuck in the neck cavity. Wings tied to keep them from cooking to fast and some white wine in the pie plate. On with presimmon wood at 300 till breast temp of 170 in this case. Wife hates chicken with any pink in it. At 170 the breast is over cooked period. Thighs and legs will be well done but not over done. I like my bird pulled at about 150 breast on a whole bird but the joints will still have some pink.
While it was cooking pealed 6 tomatoes cubed and set to the side. Chopped 5 garlic cloves and 5 green onions and browned with a little EVOO in the La Cruesit. Add the tomatoes, 3 full teaspoons capers, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper, and 3/4 cup white wine. I set the Small up like this using foil and "smoke rocks" to keep from burning on the bottom but still cook quicker than with platesetter. Cook at 350 uncovered for 45 min. with plenty of smoke wood then cover and cook till tomatoes start rendering down. About another 30 min. Add more wine if needed to thin.
10-4-2010010.jpg

10-4-2010012.jpg

The guest of honor is ready! :woohoo:
10-4-2010013.jpg

Plated and ready to eat.
10-4-2010016.jpg

10-4-2010020.jpg

Comments