Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should my plate setter look like this?

Texifornian
Texifornian Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure what that stain is, but it liquefies when it gets hot. I noticed it after removing it when it was facing the coals, so I don't think it is grease. I'm a little concerned that it may be affecting the flavor of the food and I'm not sure how to get that off. The other side had some charred-on brisket drippings that I was able to scrape off. I'll foil it from now on. Just wondering because the plate setter doesn't smell that great.

CIMG1510.jpg

Comments

• Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Photo did not come through
  • Bear with me. I put the tag in from photobucket, but it's not recognizing it for some reason.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Is this the pic?

CIMG1510.jpg

Doesn't look so bad. Just do a high temp burn with the nasty side down. Maybe make some pizza after the nasties burn off (flip the setter legs down to cook the za).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Texifornian,

Do a real hot burn and it will look good as new

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 600 for 45 minutes should take care of it
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    You could wash it off. Just make sure its COOL, and dont use ANYTHING but hot water.(The stone would absorb the soap/cleaner.) It would be similar to cleaning a pizza stone, use a plastic scraper and get the junk off. Thats just my 2 cents worth.
  • Get a bag of cheap charcoal and light it with both vents wide open. Let it burn all the way down with the plate setter inside. When it's all done, everything inside will be white and new looking.
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Another method is put it in your oven the next time you run a self cleaning cycle. It will come out looking brand new. You can also do this with the fire ring and any drip pans. You may have to leave the house for a few hours, it will burn your eyes, but otherwise harmless.
  • why not just put it in the egg?
  • you don't need to burn the egg for hours on end to get it white. you don't have a lot of goop there to worry about. just fire it up and when it stops smoking, it'll be fine and there'll be nothing but carbon left. scrape it off.

when you use the platesetter, take some heavy duty foil and make yourself a poor man's drip pan.

if you have regular, smaller foil, take a couple pieces and stack them one on another. crimp/fold one edge a few times to make a lock joint

unfold them so they are now double-wide, and then just roll the outer edges so the thing is round...

then toss it after the cook
  • Thanks for all the replies. I'll try the cheap charcoal burn method, then make sure I use foil in there from now on.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Mine sort of looks like that, not as black though, probably because I don't use foil either. But is there a reason to burn it clean or is it just for aesthetics? I don't cook food directly on it and when I do a high temp cook it does come out a little cleaner but I don't know if I'd bother doing a "clean cycle". Just wondering.
  • i only clean mine (i think it self cleans during heat up for the most part) when there is a lot of foaming sugary or fatty stuff that smokes.

otherwise, i find that the simple period of waiting to hit temp will take care of it, certainly the small amount he has. if he put that in legs up for a pizza cook, by the time he hit pizza temps, it'd be gone.

if he's doing a low and slow, the stuff won't really smoke that badly anyway
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I never "clean" mine. It often looks like that or worse, depending on how many lo/slo cooks I do between pizza cooks. Don't sweat it.

"Another method is put it in your oven the next time you run a self cleaning cycle. It will come out looking brand new. You can also do this with the fire ring and any drip pans. You may have to leave the house for a few hours, it will burn your eyes, but otherwise harmless." WOW, I am speechless.
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    I had a really nasty mess on mine (way worse than yours!) and I made a paste with baking soda and water to clean it. I used to sell Pampered Chef and their stoneware is essentially the same (lighter weight) material and that process didn't harm it. When I finished cleaning it, it looked pretty good again, but then after the next use in the BGE it looked REALLY good. Almost white again! LOL Not so much now... I don't bother foiling it much, try to use a drip pan when I can, etc.