Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt cooking now ... need advice.

Options
redneck6497
redneck6497 Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I am cooking a 4.5 lb. butt right now. Its been on for 1.5 hrs, and started at 50 degrees. Its at 130 now! I am using a dome temp of 260 with a platesetter, and a tray in the middle. Should I cut it down??

Comments

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    No, you should be good to go....good luck
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Excellent! I am amazed at how easy it is to regulate the temp. This is my first "anything" low and slow on the egg.

For shredded pork, cook it to 180? I have seen so many ways of doing it, its a little confusing....some say to wrap it in tin foil, etc.
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Excellent! I am amazed at how easy it is to regulate the temp. This is my first "anything" low and slow on the egg.

For shredded pork, cook it to 180? I have seen so many ways of doing it, its a little confusing....some say to wrap it in tin foil, etc.
  • Rick G
    Options
    your right so many different ideas from so many different people. The way I do it is I go to 195, wrap it in foil, wrap it in a couple old towels and stick it in a cooler for about an hour to rest. after the rest it is ready to shred or "pull" and eat. I am sure others will have ideas different than mine but this is how I do mine it works great for me.
  • Rick G
    Options
    one more thing....dont get impatient and bump up the temp...it may take a while to get there but it will...keep it around 250 and you will be all set
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Sounds good. I have all day. I am just enjoying this SC weather! I'll wait until 195, and I WON'T bump it up! Thanks for the advice!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    This always happens. The temp initially zooms up to the 150-160 range and then almost stops for the next few hours.
  • stevesails
    Options
    i did my first low and slow a monght ago on a 3 pound butt. didn't trust the temp control of the vents. Did a 6 pounder last week overnight.. It was fantastic, The tmep stability of the egg is just amazing.

Went to bed at midnight, got up at 7, temp was still at 250. and the but was nearly done.. try not to peek!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• redneck6497
    Options
    Rich, Steve, and Rick,

Thanks for responding! The butt is sittin at about 180 right now. I noticed that every once in a while it cools down a little. So, I open up little more, and then it stabilized and I cut it back down a little.

It smells amazing, and you're right....its hard not to want to sneak a peek.

Rich, you're right...it rockets up to about 150, and then kinda creeps the rest of the way.
  • redneck6497
    Options
    I just took it off at 195 ..... WOW! it looks, smells, and yes (i had to try a little). tastes amazing! Notice the little chunk I pulled off.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg
  • Rick G
    Options
    Looks AWESOME!! good job!!