Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Premium Bourbon

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For years I drank Makers Mark. A couple of years ago I changed to Woodford Reserve.
What would be the next step up?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    single malt scotch, macallans 18 is a good starting point. ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I think Mickey is talking about bourbon, guys.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Woodford Reserve, is high enough up the ladder for me, i would stop there and look at single malts and tawney ports :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I hope you're not one of those who mixes it with Coke. Good bourbon stands on its own. Neat is best but rocks is good if they are good rocks.

One thing I've learned over the years is that there is no "one" bourbon that is best. Old Crow was best when I could only afford it. I've since progressed upward to Maker's Mark and am currently an Ambassador with a barrel in some warehouse with my name on it. (Lot of good it does when I drink rum mostly)

It's good stuff but I've had better.

Spring "Ambassador At Lodge" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Leibo
    Leibo Posts: 9
    You should try Eagles Rare Bourbon. I used to drink Makers Mark, but by far, ER blows it away and it is THE SAME PRICE!!! Enjoy!!!!!
  • Mickey
    Sorry Leroy.
    :blush::blush::blush: Coke.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    I think Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage is step up that's priced the same. I keep it as a house bourbon.

For the good stuff I break out Blanton's - very smooth.

For more character, try some of the Ryes out there.

It's all a matter of taste and grat experimentation!

So this forum talks about grilling, smoking, charcuterie, and now bourbon... I'm in heaven.
  • hornhonk
    I love bourbon and rum, but I can only drink scotch if it's mixed with Dr. Pepper. :ermm:
  • I'd have to agree with the Spring Chicken on this one, if you're going to mix it with coke, you may as well go cheap. I like it over crushed ice, sipping through a straw, and if I'm feeling flush, I fork out extra for a bottle of Bookers (about $50) but then it lasts me a while.

As for Scotch, you had me at Macallans, or any good one from the Speyside area. The west coast and isle ones are all too peaty for me, I may as well go outside and lick the yard.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Rock Hill Farms

Single Barrel Woodford is better than the blended stuff.

If you want it on the stout side, look at Booker's

If you like it a touch sweet try Basil Hayden's

And believe it or not, Jim Beam black label is a very good bourbon. So is the Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve.
  • Mickey
    Steve a lady friend of ours only drank scotch and milk...

• hornhonk
    Whaddya sayin', Mickey? :angry: .............. :woohoo:
  • I mix my bourbon/TN whiskey with southern style iced tea. I used to use jack but when I was in Louisville I grabbed a bottle of WL Weller and man I am hooked.

As for sippin' neat - Woodford reigns supreme for me.

I was at this joint in Louisville that had all these bourbon coctails, they were all really good BUT one was made with sassafras bitters and tasted just like a spiked root beer - so damn good.

http://www.proofonmain.com/assets/documents/proof/beverages/current-signature-cocktails.pdf

oh alcohol-how you complete me
  • Couldn't agree more on the Booker Noe's! As MA egger also pointed out very good over crushed ice.

My ex, who doesn't normally drink bourbon or any dark liquors, actually would enjoy a glass or two of Booker's with an Arturo Fuente short story from time to time. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Gimme a good Balvenie, Lagavulin, or Bowmore any day.

Macallan 25 is certainly good stuff, but I like Scotch with character! I want to be just a little afraid of it.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Mickey...

Depending on your flavor preferences...Fidel makes some good recomendations!!

Lots of really nice batch Bourbons being made these days!

Two others I might suggest are Bulleitt....and Willett Reserve.

Me...I loooove Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve!!

I'm a sipper though...no Soda!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    Anything with Booker Noe's name on it is fantastic.
    Ditto for Pappy Van Winkle - a real experience!

A lot of great suggestions.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Fidel wrote:
    Gimme a good Balvenie, Lagavulin, or Bowmore any day.

Macallan 25 is certainly good stuff, but I like Scotch with character! I want to be just a little afraid of it.

A friend of mine keeps coming over and giving me blind taste tests, usually six types at a time. He says that I keep zeroing in on the Balvenie. Now I have to keep the stuff on hand, dammit!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Next step up???..........Invite me Mickey....Invite Me!!!!! :laugh:
  • Mickey,

If you can find it you have to try:

George T. Stagg

It is fantastic but sometimes you have to get on a waiting list to buy each batch. Think you can buy it in the fall. A friend from Kentucky gave me some once.

Another couple I've tried are:

Eliah Craig, Basil Hayden.

Check out: http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    I was a Marker's Mark fan for years. Like Spring Chicken I have my name on some barrel.

I've tried many different bourbons, whiskeys and scotches, but the only one I always have at the house now is Knob Creek. In fact, once I light the BGE in about 5 minutes, I'm having a glass.

Like others have said, however, if you mix it you might as well buy something less expensive. I drink mine neat: straight, no ice, at room temperature.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    I'm on the list and get some each year. Great stuff. I might just have to get myself a flask....
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    God I love that stuff!
  • hornhonk wrote:
    I love bourbon and rum, but I can only drink scotch if it's mixed with Dr. Pepper. :ermm:
    As long as i can get aqua velva. or canned heat, I'll take a pass on the Scotch. JMO.
    My dad was a big Scotch drinker. Definitely an acquired taste.
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Get yourself some Booker bourbon...it is so smooth, but don't strike a match. Ha It will warm your innards and tastes great going down.
  • I've tried Booker's, but found it a little harsh. For the money, Evan Williams is, (IMO), the best. Makers is very good as is Elmer T. Lee.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Like some others said,there are SEVERAL specialty batch makers out there nowdays.The BEST I ever tried cannot be bought.We have it made.We call it Corn Royal.We supply the corn and a person we know brews the special recipe for us.We then put it in a charred White Oak barrel and bury it in a sawdust pile for 5 years.DAMMITBOY that stuff is sooo smooth!But you MUST partake in MODERATION!It is just plain old chartered corn whiskey! :woohoo: :whistle: :blink:
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Not read any other responses, but I have been trying many different bourbons. Knob Creek is easily a few steps up from Makers, and a step above Woodfords (for my tastebuds).

But my new favorite, which I guess is technically not a bourbon, is Bernheim's Wheat Whiskey. Similar to a bourbon in sweetness and woodsiness. And just real fine for sippin.

You also may want to try some of the single barrel bourbons, like Jack Daniels single barrel. The master distiller (new guy since Jimmy Bedford passed) tries a sip from every barrel and chooses the ones with the best character. Maybe those barrels were just in a spot that got the perfect environment of warm/cold air, or the right wood in the barrel...but the flavor is above the rest. They label these "single barrel" and sell them for more. Oftentimes this means you get a real nice bottle o' whiskey.

Happy sippin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    JD Single Barrel is hard to beat for a sippin whiskey. ;)
  • It truly is great stuff...If you're at eggtoberfest you got yourself a new best friend.. we don't have a list that I know of....Enjoy!