Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olympus camera's

RedBag
RedBag Posts: 72
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I have an Olympus E-500. It’s been a great camera and I have really enjoyed it. I’m thinking about upgrading and I am looking at the E-30. My main reason for upgrading is better sports pictures. I notice that most here seem to use Nikon’s. I would enjoy your thoughts on how the Olympus stacks up.

Comments

• I have a Nikon and a Cannon Rebel, but the easiest and usually the handiest is my Olympus waterproof and i can't tell the difference???
  • I spent a couple of months reading reviews when I bought my E500. I think Nikon is the highest regarded name there is but it just seemed like Olympus was offering a lot more bang for my buck in the price range I was looking at. Now that I have 3 lenses that go with the Olympus I’m thinking I should stay with the same brand. On the other hand if Nikon or Cannons really are much better now would be the time to switch as my kids are very young and picture taking will go on at extreme levels for many years to come.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Having used the EOS Canon line and now using the Nikon line, the Nikon far out shines Canon for speed, auto focus and sharpness. I used all these for shooting girls soccer and had the best lens from Canon, and they did not match the stuff of the Nikon I was using and it wasnt the high end stuff like the Canon glass was. I do not know anyting about the Oly's. If you have lots of Oly glass then stay with it. But if your camera can not keep up the the player, then you may consider changing. List of cameras used, Canon's 20D,30D,40D, 1D, 1DMKII. Nikons D90, D300, D300s, D700. Lots of money over time and would not change any of it to get pictures I did.
    My DD in black, Canon 20D used here.

SoccerPlayer.jpg
  • I am an Olympus owner.

I own the E-1 and the E-3 and I will be buying the E-5 when it comes out next month

I feel the Olympus is a great camera and they have fantastic lenses

You can view some of my pictures at:

www.jvp.smugmug.com

The most important thing to do is learn all the features of your camera and know how and when to use them

Regardless the make of camera, you need to learn what it does to get the picture you want.
  • You get my point exactly. I do have a good bit of money in the Oly glass but if I started down the wrong path now is the time to change…my oldest is only 7. If I read the specs correctly, the E-30 is actually faster than the D90. The reviews I read on the E-30 in general are good but I always wonder if there is an agenda or bias behind the reviews. Here is a shot taken from my E-500. Pretty good, but the ball is blurry. I’m looking for just a little bit better.

Josephgetsahit.jpg
  • Great photos John ! I'm impressed !
  • Sorry about that
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Me I would go with a Nikon 300s and a nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR for sports and close up shots.

as I did with this shot
    helio900.jpg

the 70-300 again

20489728.jpg

The 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR is a real sharp lens on any Nikon.
    Freezing the ball is in shutter speed and focus spot, and timing.