Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homesteader / Eggable?

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had an uninvited homesteader in my yard (actually tunneled into my flower bed) for about 3 weeks. Not very sociable, as he only seems to 'party' at night. He FINALLY made a wrong move and viola':
DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0174.jpg
Now, who's got a good marinade for 'possum on the halfshell'. I mean armadillo? ;)
Also, how long does one marinate this scoundrel?

Actually, before the real PETA folks jump in here, I released him several miles from here in an overgrown field. :)

Comments

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Good for you Clark!!! I don't think that would be good eating anyway... :)
  • We had one not long ago and my yard man said to call him if I catch him because they cook 'em up and eat 'em. Want me to ask my yard man how to cook one?

Bought a cage, set it up and nothing. He never showed back up. I figure we're just a stopover on his route to somewhere else.

Spring "Some Things Just Aren't Meant To Be Eaten" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • wow - pretty cool. I've never lived any place where a real live armadilly-o could be caught/seen.

However, growing up in Wild, Wonderful, West "By God" Virginia, I have eaten my fair share of squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, quails, deer, catfish, crawdads, mussels.

I'm pretty sure if there were armadillos native to WV, I'd have eaten them too!! :whistle:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Googling produced some good recipes. They are cleaned like a turtle, marinated for 24-48 hrs, then slow cooked kinda stew-like.

WRONG ! Not for me :ohmy: :laugh:

Where is Frank from Houma when we need him, or 'bayouegger'? Those cajun-types can and do cook anything and make it delicious!

Fact - anyone who can cook a tasty "Coot and Nutria Stew" (which a friend and his son had at a fish camp in south Louisiana) has got to be able to make an armadillo meal seem gourmet! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Got a message from you tonite.Could not retrieve it.Those things reek havoc on flower beds.My solution is a 12 guage.Take em down the road and feed the Buzzards!Only thing left is the shell!!! ;)
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Reminds me of the old joke

Do you know why the chicken crossed the road???
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    To get fried if he crossed on to my side!!! :)
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    to prove to the armadillo that it could actually be done.

mmm-mmmmm-mmmmm, road kill pizza
  • What kind of recipe are you looking for?

Alma's Recipe for 'Possum
    Baked Possum
    Opossum Sausage
    Possum and Taters
    Possum On The Half Shell
    Possum Or Bandicoot Soup
    Possum Pot Pie
    Possum Roast
    Possum Stuffing
    Roast 'Possum
    Roast 'possum with Kraut
    Roast Possum with Spiced Apples and Sweet Potatoes
    Roasted 'possum and Sweet Potatoes
    Southern Possum Stew
    White Trash Roast Possum
  • I don't know Clark. Them is some mighty skinney drum sticks on that one!! :laugh:
  • Yeah, I had tried to send you a text pic from my phone. Same as on here.

I wanted to do a night stalk and introduce him to my 12 gauge, but thought one of the neighbors might call the police when that thing went off at 2 or 3 am!

My friend who works for an exterminating company brought me the trap. It took almost 3 weeks before the damn thing walked into the trap. ;)

I can't stand them, but Jana thought he was cute and that he didn't know he was digging up my beds and burrowing under my house...... :whistle:
  • Good recipe choices, Michael. Thanks
  • Yeah, Deane, I don't think the drumstick would be very filling.

When I let him go, I told him to head toward Arkansas. Might see him on a "Some'em" cook one night. :laugh:
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Clark, Clark, Clark,
    That would have been the perfect tailgating finger food... what were you thinking :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Can't you see the shell upside down, surrounded by crackers, and a nice "dilla" dip for everyone to taste :lol:
    The Grove would have talked about that for weeks
    Kent Madison MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    It took us a while to learn how to trap them. They (or ours) will not go to the trap for food.
    We have to place the trap where they walk (do not need food) and they walk into the trap.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Kent,
    I sent a pic and your dip suggestion to my tailgating group as though that was what I was bringing tomorrow.
    Varied reactions.... :laugh:
  • Mickey, that was how I caught this one-he just wandered into the trap, though it took 3 weeks for him to finally do so. I have since read one can use earthworms tied up in some lady's hose as bait and one of my partners said that cut-up sweet potato is very effective.
  • I think I saw that on an episode of No Reservations. I know there was one with guinea pig...I think there was one with 'dillo too.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    tell them your adding two side dishes
    Cow Patties
    Mountain Oysters
    :sick: :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Kent Madison MS