Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probably a dumb question....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got a medium egg from my father-in-law. Made the first cook, TRex's steak, fantastic. There is still some lump left over. Do I remove the leftover lump and start the fire like I did the first time, with a couple of pieces over a starter?[p]Thanks in advance from a newbie!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dunn deal,
    you can still use the old stuff. . .take your ash rake and stir the lump to get the little bit of ash out, and rake out the ash through the bottom vent. ..then simply add more lump, and you're ready to go. ..

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    dunn deal, just stir it to knock the ash off and then add more lump. Since Mr Egg will snuff the fire there really isn't much waste. Too often newbies believe that outdated book and try to cook with too little of lump.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks. So each time you restart, with leftover lump, do you remove the leftover, light a starter, place a few of the leftover pieces on top, etc.. or do you just light a starter and bury it underneath the leftovers.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dunn deal,
    i use a MAPP torch. ..you can buy one in the plumbing dept at home depot. .. a whole kit costs about 40 bucks. . .you fill up your egg with lump, light the torch, hold it on the lump for about 60 seconds, and waalaa, fire. . .[p]if i was using a starter cube, i'd just toss it on top of the old lump, pile new lump on top, and light it. ..no need to pull the leftover lump out of the egg. ..