Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stew

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3EGGTABLE.jpg
<p />Mornin,[p]Anyone out there have a stew recipe to share today?[p]46 and sunny in the windy city today. Perfect day for stew.[p]TIA[p]Mick

Comments

• MickeyT,[p]Here's one that's incredible! I made it last winter and just found it again last night. Think I'll have it this week.[p]Lee[p]Sausage and Squash Stew[p]2 T olive oil
    2 onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    some garlic, chopped
    1 pound of Italian sausage links, pricked all over
    2 cups chicken broth
    4 portabello mushroom caps, cut into half inch pieces
    1 package peeled butternut squash, cut into half inch pieces
    1 bag fresh spinach
    1 T fresh thyme (or 1 teas dried)
    Parm cheese for sprinkling[p]In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onions, garlic, salt and pepper for 5 minutes. Add the sausages and cook to brown them. Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the pan, then add the mushrooms. Cook 5 minuters.[p]Stir in the squash and the thyme. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 cups stock and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pan, simmer the stew for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.[p]Remove about 5 pieces of squash and mash them, then return to the stew. Slice the sausages down the middle and cut into bite-sized chunks, then return them to the stew. Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until it's tender but still bright green. [p]Sprinkle with parm. cheese to serve.[p]

• Rumrunner
    Options
    MickeyT, Gretl posted this and I made a couple of modifications. People love it![p]Italian Pork Stew on the Grill[p]INGREDIENTS:
    2 pounds cubed pork (butt or picnic will work)
    or left over brisket, etc
    6 ounces pitted mildly tart black olives
    1 3/4 pounds canned tomatoes ( I used 28 oz DM diced w/ garlic & onion)
    The leaves of a sprig of fresh rosemary, stripped from the sprig and minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced (why would anyone stop at two? I used SIX)
    3/4 cup red wine
    3/4 cup dry Marsala
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste*
    PREPARATION:
    Sauté the garlic and the rosemary in the olive oil, and once the garlic has turned blonde-brown add the pork. Brown everything, then stir in the Marsala and the wine and cook over a lively flame until they have evaporated. At this point stir in the tomatoes, a cup of hot water (I used chicken broth), and the olives, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower the flame to a simmer and cook for an hour and a half**, by which time the sauce should be fairly thick.
    *Add hot sauce at the table for chiliheads
    **I did the prep on the stove in a large sauce pan. When it got to the simmer stage, I transferred it to my cast iron Dutch oven and put on the grill at 250°, sitting on a couple of fire bricks (indirect), for two hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes until thick.
    Serve with a tossed salad, nice Italian bread, and a light, zesty red wine or beer/s. This would also be great served in bread bowls.[p]

[ul][li]Pork Stew[/ul]
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    the pic
    [ul][li]prok stew[/ul]
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]Sweet set-up!
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    Just did this last week. Great stuff! I think I might add some italian sausage this week and try her out again...[p]B o B
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    SmokinBoB,[p]Thanks dude.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    QSis,
    That sounds good Lee..We will give it a try.
    Larry