Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Byron\'s Butt Rub or Dizzy Dust?

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a couple 4lb Pork Shoulders and was wondering what rub I should use? Never used either rub. Do I still coat the shoulder with mustard and then add the rub? I have always made my own rub and used mustard for the glue. Looking for a thick bark. Any suggestions? Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Last time i cooked a butt i used 3 types of rub....homemade, Butt Rub, and Dizzy Dust. I thought it turned out to be one of the best ones I have ever cooked.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Try one of each. I've done that with those 2 exact rubs. You really can't go wrong with either. Both great rubs IMO.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    May not be the answer you're looking for, but my favorite is a 50/50 blend of the two. I think BBBR is a little too salty by itself, and I think DPDD could use a touch more salt. The blend is just right.
  • I agree with Jeffsgf, BB is way salty for my taste but when mixed with dizzy it can add another dimension to it.
  • I have tried a number of rubs and it depends on the meat what I use:

1. Butt: Bad Bryon's Butt Rub is perfect for me for butt--I have tried Dizzy, homemade, and numerous others, but that is my favorite

2. Ribs: Dizzy Dust

3. Brisket: Tex BBQ Rub (by far it is the best for brisket--good on anything also).

4. Chicken: Shakin the Tree (Dizzy)

5. Steak: Cow Lick (Dizzy)

I still like to experiment with new rubs/sauces.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Another vote for both.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    After using a lot of rubs for butts and shoulders,including Bad Byrons, I've been using Dizzy Dust Course rub for over 1 year now with great results. It provides a great bark and ,to me, the flavor is much better. Hope this helps
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I make my own rub and it's all I've ever used. Lay it on thick and rub it in. It DOES stay put. Truly. NICE bark too.

Mustard is for hot dogs.

My rub:
    1 tablespoon ea...
    salt
    sugar
    brown sugar
    ground cumin
    chili powder
    cracked black pepper
    paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it hotter)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I use BBBR on my butts.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    And just to really twist things up....

Stop in the Latin section of your market and pick up a box of 'Sazon". Sprinkle one or two envelopes of that on after you've coated it in BBBR and DPDD. People who know what they're doing will shake their head and squint trying to figure out what the extra flavor is. Had a BGE Exec tell me last year I needed to take my PP on the comp circuit, and that was the only thing that was really different from everyone else.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I've used both, both make an excellent bark..I personally think the Byron's has just a slight bitter taste to it, but I suggest you try both or even combining the two! It comes down to personal taste... :blink:
  • Another vote for both...50-50 B)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hatch,

Have you tried Butt Rub? It's damn good, man.

It doesn't help that I'm out of both 'grinds' of Dizzy Dust though. :pinch:
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I'm almost there with you. Down to a finger or two. LOL. I have a large BBBR though and it's still half full. NEed to get me an order in of some Dizzy products. Really want to try cow lick. I do love steak!

I get a good bark on any butt I cook, at least as far as I'm concerned. Never found much of a difference. I also use Obie Cues sunshine rub on butts alot. It's great too. I'll have to dabble in the 1/2 and 1/2 of the BBBR and Dizzy Pig course grind. Sounds like it could be good like that.