Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coleslaw help

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not a big coleslaw fan (I tend to like the vinegar style and in my area mayo based seem to be the norm) but I am doing 20 lbs of butt for an upcoming football Saturday and was wondering if anyone had some good recipes to pair with the pork? Mayo or vinegar based would be fine as would like to have a bit of both for my guests. I am also going to pull and leave pork plain and am looking at buying an assortment of sauces for my guests to add, any suggestions there? Gonna use dizzy pig coarse and fine on butt with a bit of hickory and apple for smoke.

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Options

This question was asked just recently here,

Need a coleslaw recipe

Naturally I like my contribution the best! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Options
    Dave,

I'll wear my Maize/Blue shirt and my "M" cap and I'll be driving from Brunswick, Ohio for the game. Just kidding. Go Blue 3-0. As a Browns fan at least one of my teams is doing well. I would go with a vinegar based cole slaw. Just my opinion.

Stef in Brunswick, Ohio
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Green cabbage, purple cabbage and carrots for color. Mix vinegar with sugar, salt and pepper. Pour the liquid mix over your cabbage and allow to marinate for a few hours under refrigeration. Good luck to all.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    haha. Every time I see a Michigan logo, I think of the story about the Illinois grad who got a job in Michigan. Couldn't stand the fact that she saw maize and blue everywhere she looked so she decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

pl8-morons-story.jpg

Apparently, this is a fabricated tale and a photoshopped plate, but it's a funny story. Unless you're a Michigan fan I guess. :)

Oh yeah, cole slaw... my (borrowed) KFC clone recipe is in the link posted above. If that's your thing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MusicMan78
    Options
    @ Gatorbait- thanks for the link, I always try to look through the archives first but sometimes you just cant look through a million posts that may or may not be of help

@ EGGRPh - I'm about 15 minutes from the big house (I live off State St.)....just wait for U of M vs. MSU weekend and locate me via the smell of the pork, lol

@ BT - I like the simplicity of your recipe

@ CQ I got my BA from EMU but am a big U of M fan...I would feel sorry for the guy if that plate was real and he parked his car anywhere around here!
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I loosely base mine on the following Bobby Flay recipe...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/creamy-cole-slaw-recipe/index.html

Don't use anywhere near that much mayo and add a lot more vinegar (red wine or apple cider)and onion. I also use a prepared mustard (spicy brown variety) instead of dry.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Michael:

Did you get the KFC recipe from
    http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.php?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sure did. Taste is almost identical, but I think it's a bit better that the original. Doesn't keep as long though. Wonder what KFC puts in theirs to make it last longer. :sick:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    You may have made up your mind by now, but I cant recommend a slaw recipe in higher than this one:

Kicked up Slaw
    It's Awesome if you like a lil kick!

Ingredients
    1 (16-ounce) package shredded cole slaw mix
    1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
    2 green onion, thinly sliced
    1 red jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Several dashes hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon celery salt
    Pinch kosher salt
    Directions

In a large bowl, mix together all the slaw ingredients. Allow to sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Serve alone or on top of sandwiches

Credits to Aaron McCargo Jr.
    Eggtucky