Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite BBQ Sauce

drbrjb01
drbrjb01 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious what types of BBQ sauces I should try...I have always liked Sweet baby ray's and a cherry bbq sauce from Brownwood Farms in Traverse City but I recently tried Blues Hog(ok but not my favorite) and Head Country(LOVED IT!)...what are all of your suggestions?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Give this stuff a shot. It's made by our one and only Big'un. He has 3 flavors Chipotle, Robust and sweet. I get a case mixed with all 3 and have been going through them at a pretty good pace. Everyone loves one or all of them.

www.carnivorebbq.com
  • Neelys BBQ Sauce

2 cups ketchup
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    5 tablespoons light brown sugar
    5 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon onion powder
    1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Yield: 3 1/2 cups

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/down-home-with-the-neelys/barbecue-chicken-recipe/index.html
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    No way to narrow it down to just one. I have 3-4 regulars I use including Blues Hog, Carnivore, Sweet Baby Rays, & Cattlemans.
  • Blues Hog (all of them--Tenn. Red, Original, and Honey Mustard--great sauces and I have tried a ton of sauces--I love to mix the Tenn Red and Original--perfect--I think I'm addicted to Tenn Red--I can drink that stuff), Carnivore (very good), Bone Suckin is nice, and WeeWilly sauce (really, really good also). I like others, but those 4 are my favorites.

I personally never cared for Sweet Baby Ray's.
  • I really like Sweet Baby Rays but also like Stubbs original
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Depends what it's for but Brothers Gold is really good sauce that I recently found. Most sauces I find that I mix them depending on where I'm trying to take the flavor. Right now I have Cattleman's, Blues Hog, Blues Hog Red, Head Country, Brothers Gold, and some Sweet Baby Rays.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    NONE!Why camo the great meat you just made???Like puttin ketchup on a nice prime rib! :angry::sick:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Just kidding!!! ;) I like Carnivore(all of em) and Blue's Hogg TN RED.We have a local Q spot that has their own that is good,but not sold in stores.I am partial to vinegar based sauces on pork.If I want sweet,I order dessert. ;)
  • drbrj01: Haven't read the rest of the posts, but finished dinner tonight of Carnivore Robust. GREAT stuff!! (Sounds like you like sweet sauces, and if so, go with the Carnivore Sweet!!) Tasty sauces for sure! I will be posting tonights simple dinner with Carnivore Robust tomorrow (I have been painting all day! :blink: ). The Carnivore sauces are great!! :)
  • I'm with you on the sweet thing!! Not in my BBQ! And I don't eat desserts! :ohmy: Have yet to try the BH Red...hopefully some day, but I did like the original Blues Hog. In the mean time, it is Carnivore Robust all the way!! Just re-stocked at the mini fest!! B)
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Just a question....if you dont like sweet how is it you like Blues Hog?? I ordered a jar of Blues Hog a while ago and found it WAY too sweet for my liking, and I love Sweet Baby Rays. Did I get a bad jar of sauce??
  • Rick: I liked the Blues Hog, but probably because I used it like it was gold. Can't get it down here, and used it very sparingly. Was given ONE jar as a gift. It was sweet, and VERY sticky, which I didn't like too much. But, I absolutely loved their 'stickability' to the product I was grilling, as opposed to having the sauce fall into the lump, which happens too often. Haven't yet tried their "Red", and imagine that would offset the sweetness with some heat. I am tending to the Carnivore robust now. (I still need to try BH Red...just can't get it here) Also, I think we can all relate, sweet vs heat depending on your mood!! B) It is Carnivore here now. Good stuff! :)
  • Carnivore, Chipotle then Robust. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bone Sucking / Sweet Baby Ray / Blues Hog
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Little Chef..I agree completly...I liked how sticky it was...just TOO sweet for me. I only tried the one jar as I can't get it in Michigan and had to order it. I did just order two bottles of Carnivore, one sweet, one robust. I am looking forward to trying them B)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I'm with you on the Carnivore sauce, love the stuff. Had a bottle of the sweet and accidently gave it away so never got a chance to try it but they love it. LOL

My Best to you and B.T.
    Bordello
  • Head Country (hickory and original), Smokin Blues and In the Woods!! are my "go to sauces" Blues Hog from time to time....
  • I like sweet sauces (I also love mustard based and vinegar based sauces). I never said I didn't. You are right, Blues Hog Original is very sweet. I love it. I just don't care for Sweet Baby Rays. The flavors don't do it for me. I can't put my finger on specifically why. I just know I don't like it.
  • Sticky Pig (all of them)
    Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red
    Carnivore (all of them)
    Dave’s Thick & Tangy BBQ Sauce – v2.0
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • I feel it is how a sauce works in conjuction with your dry rub that is the key.

I like using some heat in the dry rub so a nice sweet sauce is needed to create a complimentry layer on top.

Our best selling sauces in our store are-

-Blues Hog
    -Old Mule
    -Head Country
    -Big Bob Gibsons
    -Burnt Sacrifice (Saints Sauce)

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Don't let any of these guys fool you, nothing beats the classics :laugh:

003-Copy.jpg

Now, if I could only figure out how to post anonymously.
  • 20100412-Gates.jpg

Gates & Sons Hot & Spicy
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Wild Boar is my go to sauce, though I also really like Sticky Pig over the quite similiar Blues Hog...especially Sticky Pigs Jalapeno - nice bite, but not overbearing.
    IMG_0343.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dreamland or blues hog
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Not much of a sauce guy myself. I put it on ribs, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've cooked ribs. I haven't found one I really like yet, but I've only tried what I can find in the grocery store. The worst of that bunch has to be KC Masterpiece. Sounds like it's time to give Todd a holler. :)

For most other cooks, I just enjoy the flavor of the meat.

Most, not all. For butts, give me some good ol' vinegar sauce any day! Commercially, I like Wilber's (or similar), but it's a pretty simple recipe so I make my own. You can order it though...

461_025.jpg

http://www.wilbersbarbecue.com

My version...

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 ½ tbls cayenne pepper (optional-some think 1 ½ tbls is too much or that it can be omitted entirely)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sorry but I have to make my own. I have never liked commercial sauce.

B-B-Q Sauce

1 cup ketchup
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp chili powder
    ½ tsp salt
    1 ½ cup water
    1 clove garlic
    3 bay leaves
    3 stalks celery
    2 tbls onion
    ½ stick butter
    4 tbls Worcestershire Sauce
    4 tbls paprika
    black pepper

Mix all ingredients in saucepan. Simmer about 30 minutes.

Sometime I put a sliced lemon in the sauce.