Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oil Change Frequency

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Both my vehicles tell me when it is time for an oil change, not based upon mileage but on a combination of factors including RPM, heat, time, and mileage. Also, the manual says to do more often if in dusty conditions, which we don't have here at the Chicken Ranch.

But we've all heard or even been cautioned that oil should be changed "at least every 3,000 miles." Not so, according to recent reports.

Check it out>

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/video.aspx?cp-documentid=f8859277-a6ed-41ce-b214-8a3441745509%26tab=Featured&from=en-us_msnhp

Spring "Well Oiled" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I have mine changed when I think it should be, so that could be at 10,ooo miles, 6000 miles, I only run Mobil-1 5/20 sythc oil for the past 140K in my F150 SC, I have gone so low that the oil gage would bounce around, nothing 5 qts didnt fix!!! I know a guy who does it all every 3k and still have engine problems, dumb chevys.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Oil change frequency?

I wash my hair once or twice a week. Seems to work for me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I checked my oil, much less changed it. Seriously. Over 200K miles and it HAS to be five years since I even looked.

I assume I still have some.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Leroy Toyota (and most others)now is at 5000 on most and as of late 10,000 on the ones with synthictic (? way off on spelling.
    You will find soon (next few years) will all be 10k on oil but the the light will come on at 5k as you still need to rotate tires then.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i like the 3000 mile rule, i procrastinate so much i dont get around to it till about 5000 miles, seems to work for me. my 89 dodge truck still fires up every morning. maybe its time to change the stock mopar plugs, just got around to changing the plug wires and fan belts for the first time :laugh: hoping to get another 20 or so years from it. mines telling me its time for a paint job :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RedBag
    Options
    I’m no expert but this is the way I have always understood it. 3k is what is recommended but the oil companies. Car manufactures have always been at 7.5k.

Many years ago I was playing golf with a guy who worked for a well known oil manufacturer. I asked him if there was any real difference in the different manufacturers’ oil products. We were not talking the frequency of changes but rather valvoline vs quakerstate vs mobil vs generic vs whatever. He said how often do you change your oil. I said every 3k. He said no difference then. He said all oils including generic were fine up to 10k. The better oils have additives that will stop the oil from breaking down but until you got to the point of if it breaking down they really didn’t do anything.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    There was a study done on NY taxi cabs with varying oil changes and quality of oil used. After so many miles (150,000 ?) they tore the engines apart and measured wear. Almost no difference in the engines were detected. If you google it you will be able to find the specifics.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Being an auto dealer, i advise all my customers to change every 3,000 miles, it all depends on the conditions, not just dust. Up here in MN/ND, the temp is a big factor, when you start your car when it is -30 it is really hard on your engine and you need to have clean oil for the cold start, and when it is 100 in the summer you need clean oil, so the temp change is a big big big deal, it can create condensation and you all know what water and oil do. up here we also tell them that it needs to be changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles which ever occurs first. but there are synthetic oils out there that can last for 5k or 10k. but it really depends on weather and driving conditions.
  • gee, i just change my oil when that little oilcan symbol lights up on my dashboard. in fact, usually i just need to add two or three quarts.

where does the oil go, anyway, that i put in there a couple years before?
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I go by the rattling of the valves. The louder they get the closer to an oil change I am.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!