Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron DO question

Cookin Corvette Doug
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I notice that a lot of you are cooking with a CI DO in the Egg. I want to try my hand at it. Do I get a DO with flat bottom or with tripod legs? Thanks

Comments

• I have several - all flat bottom

CI skillets are pretty handy as well

You will enjoy cooking with CI
  • I have both but if you want to be able to use the DO outside the egg you will want legs. You can control temperature in it very well with charcoal below and on the lid. I use it that way when I go camping. You can use the legs inside the egg, just set the legs between the bars on the grate. If you are only going to use it in the egg or in an oven go with the flat bottom.
  • All mine have legs, that type is called a "Camp Oven" They also have a lip on the lid so that you can put coals on them.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Stovetop is "outside the egg". :whistle:

Doug, I prefer flat bottom as well. The wire bail handle units are nice for one handed lifting, but there are tons of nice ones out there.
  • I like the flat bottom models. The camp ovens (with legs) are useless when cooking on an electric stove. You can always raise a flat bottom one, little green feet, bolts and nuts, foil balls.
  • Thanks for the help. The game is a foot to try and find a few at flea markets or yard sales.
  • I have the legs for the same reason. We go camping and "nest" or stack 2-3 CIDO's together. I also have a fire pit that I'll put the DO to cook while I cook other stuff on the Egg.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Lodge make a flat bottom model that has a matching lid.
    That is to say the lid is flat topped, and both top and bottom have the "ear" type handles. The top can be used as a skillet or cassarole, very handy.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Both work great. I like like mine with legs.
  • KMO_Q
    KMO_Q Posts: 150
    If you are not gonna be camping go with the flat bottom. It works great on the stove in the oven and in the egg. Either way, Look for one that is about a 12" dia. Happy hunting... ;)
  •  
    You now know the difference between the two models. If you use the DO with the lid on you may as well cook on the stove or cook with briquettes.

I ended up grinding the leggs off of some of my camp style DO's. For me putting the legs on the grate puts the DO out of level. I do like the bail handle. If I take the flat bottom style DO's camping I use some rocks to elevate the DO of of the ground.

I don't use the plate setter when using the DO as the DO is actually an oven in and of itself.

When looking for DO's watch the lid to base fit. You will see Lodge and other high end DO's will see a very nice and even fitting lid - no wobbling. Although they are lighter, I don't alike aluminum DO's.

If looking for used don't worry too much about the rust and dirt. Re-seasoning the DO will take care of most problems. With that said don't pick something up that if fully rusted through the DO. An Ice Pick or small Phillips Screwdriver will help you tell if a DO is eaten too much.

You are in for a lot of good food, the DO and Egg complement each other very well.

GG