Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a coleslaw recipe

icemncmth
icemncmth Posts: 1,165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not trying to start a war between creamy vs vinegar..

I am looking for something different to make this weekend when it comes to slaw.

What I usually make is..

Coleslaw with cilantro and jalapenos

4 cups of red cabbage, shredded
1/3 cup of mayonnaise
4 tablespoons of lime juice
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of cilantro (plus more if you’re as mad about it as I am!)
2 jalapenos diced
2 cloves of garlic pressed or minced
1 large radish, grated
1 teaspoon of Chipolte powder

Method:
Mix all ingredients and chill for a few hours for the flavors to meld. Serves four to six.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a KFC clone recipe if you are interested. It's the only kind of cole slaw I will eat. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    OOoo that sounds good can you either post it or email it too me?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    im a red slaw fan as well, this ones been my favorite this year, really good with fried fish probably because of the malt vinegar. have made a few nantucket ruebens with them, fried haddock, and slaw on toasted rye.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/red-cabbage-slaw-recipe/index.html
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here ya go. I took some into the office once and everyone accused me of buying it from KFC. :)

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/KFC-Cole-Slaw-Recipe.html

Hope you enjoy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jemrx
    jemrx Posts: 81
    this has been a family favorite, very basic with a nice balance between sweet and tart.

2 tbl fresh grated onion
    3 tbl apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup hellmans mayo
    1 store bought package of coleslaw (one bag)

mix first 4 ingredientd in the mayo.
    then add to slaw mix and refrigerate for at least 3 hrs
  •  
    Outdoor Cabbage Slaw

serves 6-8

1 large head cabbage, finely shredded
    2 large white Bermuda onions, thinly sliced
    1 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 cup vinegar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

Layer cabbage 2" thick in a large bowl; then layer onions 1/4" thick and repeat layers of cabbage and onions. Sprinkle 1 cup sugar over top of layers.

Heat 2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, celery seed, salt, vinegar and oil in a medium saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and pour immediately over cabbage mix. Do not stir. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours. Stir mixture before serving. May be kept up to 6 days in frig.

Called "Outdoor" because of no mayo and is good for picnics. My dad loved to make it anytime and we would devour it. It's very refreshing on a hot summers day. I would help myself to a bowl of it just for a snack it is so good. Do not be afraid to alter the recipe to your tastes. I have had good results using either apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar. I would not restrict myself to just Bermuda onions but they are good in it. Olive oil could probably be a winner too. Like more onions? Go for it.

This recipe is from "gulfshore delights" cookbook, put out by The Junior Welfare League of Fort Myers, 1984, page 63. A good book.

Food for thought: Many years ago I worked in restaurants in Maine. In one of them I was assigned the job of making Cole Slaw out of grated green and red cabbage, onions, radishes and all the other usual ingredients. It was a mayo based dressing. One key ingredient that really set it apart from regular Cole Slaw was crushed pineapple and some of the juice from the pineapple. It added a sweetness and reduced the amount of mayo that was needed and made a great Cole slaw.

Blair

• Here is one we like.

Crunchy Coleslaw

1 head cabbage, shredded
    1 bunch green onions, cut fine
    5 oz. slivered almonds, toasted
    1/2 c. sunflower seeds
    1 pkg. chicken Ramen noodles, uncooked & broken into sm. pieces

DRESSING:

1 packet Ramen noodle seasoning
    1/2 c. oil
    3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
    3 tbsp. sugar

Mix all ingredients in bowl. Toss with dressing just before serving.
  • I've got several. Are you looking for anything in particular?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Oh man... they have/had this "Asian Cole Slaw" at Harry's / Whole Foods at the salad bar that was absolutelty the BEST.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Maybe have a recipe for a resonable rendition?

I remember it had rice wine vinegar, some black sesame seeds, I know I tasted sesame oil, there was a bit of heat, and very thinly sliced/shaved/slivered sweet red bell pepper.

MAN IT WAS GOOD!
  • I don't, but this version is really, really good.

Bag of slaw 16oz
    4 scallions thinly slice
    1/2 med red onion thinly sliced
    1 T sesame seeds

Dressing:
    3 T soy sauce may want low sodium
    1 T fresh lime juice
    3 T mayonnaise
    1 T freshly grated ginger
    1 T distilled white vinegar
    1 T dark brown sugar
    1/2 t toasted sesame oil
    salt/pepper

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Does this help?

Chicken, Breasts, Stuffed, Thai-Inspired, & Slaw, Thailand

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup jasmine rice, cooked
    1/2 shredded coconut
    2 green onions, finely sliced
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Thai basil leaves
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    2 Tbs Thai chili sauce
    2 limes, juiced and zested, divided
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    Dredging:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp ground white pepper
    1 14 Ozs Can Coconut milk
    Rolling Mixture:
    1 cup chopped roasted peanuts
    3/4 cup panko crumbs
    1/4 cup white sesame seeds, toasted
    1/4 cup black sesame seeds, toasted
    Thai-style slaw:
    3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
    1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
    1 lime, juiced
    1 Thai chili, finely minced
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    1/2 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
    1 napa cabbage, finely sliced
    1 English cucumber, coarsely grated
    1 carrot, grated
    1/2 red onion, finely diced
    Garnish:
    1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
    1 lime, wedged
    Cilantro sprigs

Procedure:
    For the chicken:
    1 In a large bowl, mix the rice, coconut, green onion, basil, cilantro, chili sauce, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and zest from 1 lime. Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to even thickness. Place equal amounts of rice mixture on each breast half. Wrap chicken around filling, securing with a toothpicks. In a glass pie plate, mix together flour, zest of 1 lime, salt and pepper. In another plate, mix coconut milk, and 2 tablespoons lime juice. In third plate, mix together peanuts, panko, black and white sesame seeds. Roll chicken breasts, 1 at a time, first in flour mixture, then in coconut milk mixture and finally in peanut mixture, coating well. In shallow baking pan, arrange chicken, seam side down and place in 350 degree F oven. Bake 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
    For slaw:
    1 In a large bowl mix together all ingredients and refrigerate.
    To plate:
    1 Place slaw on serving platter, removed picks from chicken and add chicken to plate. Garnish with cucumber, lime and cilantro.

Servings: 4
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Michelle Anderson, Eagle Idaho

Source: Food Network, Michelle Anderson, 2007/10/17

Episode#: CC0511

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
  • I had a Mustard Cole Slaw recipe that was outstanding. Got it out of a BBQ Mag. Has mustard and sour cream in it. If interested I will try to find it. Email me at QGALLO@HOTMAIL.COM
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I see some great recipes there but personally I buy a bag of three color cabbage (shredded) and a bottle of marzetti's. Cole slaw shouldn't take time, it's a salad or a side dish that doesn't require effort or thought. At least at my house. Focus on the meat and short cut the fixins...speed is of the essence. ha. Keep On Eggin.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • I have made broccoli slaw before with the bagged stripped broccoli.

I would love that mustard recipe!