Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey fryer recommendation?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love cooking stuff on my Egg, but I've decided to bite the bullet and get a turkey fryer. I want one with the accessories that would allow me to use it for crab and shrimp boils as well, and for frying fish. I like the idea of not smelling up my house with these cooks.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    Options
    They really are pretty much all the same unless you go to something that is all enclosed. That being said, they all come with some sort of basket. I've used mine to make wings and cornish hens. The problem with wings and CH is that it takes about 3x longer to heat the oil than it does to actually cook :) The thing I looked for when I bought mine was whether or not it had a spigot to drain the oil after use.
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Options
    We have a couple that we've used for crab and lobster boils.
    I'd get on that sits low to the ground. That makes it easier to manage and handle.
    Look for ones with decent looking regulators and a longer hose, to keep the propane farther from the burner. I bought the ones with the least amount of "extra stuff" as we already had much of that equipment.
    We always set up a "hoist" for the turkey - a 6' ladder with a rope/carabiner attached to the turkey stand, to lower the turkey into the hot oil. It safely keeps one away from the hot oil and makes it easier to remove it, when done.
    Good luck, Larry
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you can buy the components separately and mix and match. what you dont want is a burner with a ring that the pot sits into, that ring gets in the way of other sized pots, big fry pans etc. i think bayou classics sells all the parts, look for a burner with a wide stance as well. my burner is from an old gas watersmoker and works just as well as a turkey fry unit. i use it every other weekend for lobsters and steamers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    As several have said they are all along the same lines.You can get several types of burners. Most use a high pressure regulator and burner. Look for the low to the ground burner.I'd get a larger diameter pot and basket pot for boils. The turkey pot with basket works but I like the larger dia. short pot for boils. easier to handle. I bought one of the electric turkey fryers a few years back and have been happy with it. It is safer and simplifies the process.

Mke sure you use it outdoors and follow direction because turyey frying can turn bad quick.

Good Cooking on You,
    Poppasam
  • volsegghead39
    Options
    I bought my fryer from Cabelas(the outdoor store). You can get online and check them out. It came w/ all the basic essentials. I am able to do boils in the summer w/ it and fry some birds up for the holidays. I have had mine now for about 5 yrs. and have had no problems w/ it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Eggtuary,

I have Bayou Classic and Bass Pro. Make sure you get a stainless pot. Aluminum does not like to sit on the flame empty :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    It will make that tall pot short quick want it.

poppasam
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    stainless with aluminum cladded bottoms not so good either :laugh: :laugh: this cheap steel one seems to work well but dry it would probably fail as well.

DSC_0062-1.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064-1.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sam,

It does happen fast! What was I thinking? :laugh:

Steve

Steve