Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still on the fence on the BGE

2»

Comments

• Little Chef,

I am sure it will get better, at least I hope so. My 9 hour butt was left alone for 2 hours and when I got a chance to look I was at 330, this after being at 250 for over 2 hours, then a couple of hours later after being stable again at 250 the temp went to 190. I built the fire the Elder Ward way, after 9 hours had plenty of lump left over. My area is virtually wind free and in Thailand this time of year it is one temperature....hot! So I have no idea why it jumps around. I just don't trust to leave it alone more than an hour or so. I have checked the calibration on my thermometer so many times that it's rusty ;)

Mike
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Mike...Do you find yourself messing with the vents a lot?? That is usually the #1 offender with egg users. They fiddle too much. :laugh: A quarter inch of adjustment (orless) to bottom and DFMT on a low n slow is as big as I go, until I see the results settle. So...are you a "fiddler of the vents"??? :laugh: :woohoo: :silly: :laugh: :whistle: You'll get the hang of it.
    Another big one is folks get the egg stabilized, then add a cold hunk of meat. The temp drops, and they feel the need to adjust vents to bring the temp back. The egg will recover with the same settings as before the meat was added.
    You'll get it nailed down in no time. B)
  • I like you had a Genesis and loved it...until I forayed into one of these things. Originally intent was for superior long and slow cooks, but it does everything so well and does not take THAT much more time. When you taste the difference in the food, you will never be able to go back. I promise you. I sold my Genesis, 0 regrets. My Genesis was a great grill. Absolutely 0 regrets. Now that is saying something.
  • Little Chef,

I learned on the first couple of cooks NOT to fiddle, I didn't touch it at all. Like I said, it had been stable for 2 hours, that seems to be the max time I get before the egg either goes up or down for no apparent reason, at least not one I can figure out.

Maybe it has jet lag from all the travelling it did!!!

Mike
  • Welcome to the Cult Roger, we well be looking for your post and pictures

Ross
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Let me add my two cents. I have a nice gasser, a FIRE MAGIC and have had it for almost 7 years. Since I got the XL EGg last year, it hasn't been used much other then to put the hot grills from the EGG. Once I got the EGG, that is all I use for the most part. Food tastes a lot better, especially steak. You will not want to go out for a steak.

When I go to Barbeques Galore for supplies, if I can I will talk up the EGG to those how are looking for a new grill, a gas one at that. Some here say it is a hobby but heck if you gotta eat might as well eat good, tasty food.

A lot of people here have given you plenty of good, positive things about the EGG and the thing is, we all mean it. No BS.

You aren't the only one to have spent time reading on the EGG here. A lot of us have and after getting our EGGs, we have no regrets and neither will you.

We are here to help.
  • Took me 2 years to get off the fence. My Ducane rusted out and had to decide what I wanted to do for grilling. Decided I wnated to go back to the charcoal taste in my cooking. I have not regretted buying my egg 2 years ago. Ready to buy my second egg next spring. You are right in that you need to figure 20 to 30 mminutes before you put your food on. Cooking on gas grill after 10 minutes is a point in the Weber side. Moister food, charcoal tase - 2 points for BGE. I cook on the egg when I have at least 1 hour to cook from start to taking food off. That happens at least 3 times a week. One of the many reasons I miss my son off at college is that he would fire up the egg when I was leaving work and depending on the meal he would start the cooking. Gas is fast, egg can't be beat for flavor.
  • Roger,

Congrats and welcome to the "family". I bought my XL 3 months ago and have an order in for a Medium now. It will change your cooking lifestyle for the better.
    We look forward to future posts!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    never try to make pad thai from scratch the first time with your mis en place 20 feet from your egg....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mis en wrong place. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Roger, You have made a decision and you acted on it and I feel you won't regret it. Now you are going to an eggfest to pick up your egg. That is great. I have been using this forum for about two years now and this forum is why I got my eggs (yes I have two large eggs).

You may or may not understand that there a people that post on here and later we find out they were not interested in the egg but interested in starting up stuff for no good reason. We have a lot of respect for each other here and I hope when you get your egg you will post on here your successful cooks as well as your not so successful cooks . That is one way we learn from each other.

You say you have been lurking for a while and I did also. I loved looking at all the food pic's and pic's of everyone's eggs and the different setups....you see it goes on and on and on. A lot of folks here meet up with other forum members and attend and cook at eggfests. I have been to two eggfests and cooked at both and met a lot of forum members who I speak to on a daily or weekly or monthly basis and I thoroughly enjoy it. ;)

Come back and post your questions and take pic's and post them and see what this forum is all about. Tim :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Mis en wrong place. :)

how quick one learns.
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Roger I've not had one regret since getting my Large BGE last March, other than not being able to cook on it as much as I would like. Work keeps getting in the way.

Greg B)
  • RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Thanks much all for your comments. Have been out fishing all day, and caught enough white bass and sauger to have a nice meal for 3 or 4 people. Not much of a grilled fish lover, so these will have a date with a pot full of hot oil! :)

Its going to be tough waiting for 4 weeks to pick up my egg and get to grilling. I am really looking forward to going to Eggwegofest.

Roger
    South of Chicago
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    You will love it. Lots of food to try and lots of folks to talk to. :) Tim
  • Roger,
    Welcome! Sounds like our stories are pretty similar...owned a gasser, wanted a smoker, did a lot of research, went to Floribunda, talked to Nancy, bought an egg from Eggwegofest. If the trend holds, here's the rest of your story: fell in love immediately, made some mistakes, learned a lot, wound up cooking on it 3 times a week (even when it's 5 below in January), started making plans for buying a second egg, dream about the upcoming fest months ahead of time, still make some mistakes, still learning a lot...etc.

I'll see you in a few weeks. I'll be the one with the little blonde nearly-2-year-old girl. You'll get to meet RRP in person, and show him you aren't a troll. ;) Ron really is a great guy, we just get a little gun-shy about trolls around here, sometimes. There's nothing like meeting people in person... The fest will be a blast, they always are, and there will be a couple guys from the mothership again this year.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I bought my egg a year ago now I have a second one. Thankfully I have not made one bad thing on it yeat but I am sure there will be a time. I have owned Webers Tagaer and some in between this is the one that I have fallen in love with. You will not regret the discioin to buy one. Good Luck.

Patti
    Wichita ,KS