Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still on the fence on the BGE

Options
RogerT
RogerT Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,

I have been reading the forum now for about a month or so, and am still not convinced that I "Need" an Egg. The wife and I have been happily grilling on a Weber Genesis for quite a long time.

I read just about every post made every evening when I get home from work and hardly ever see any cooks where it has just gone wrong. Cooks that went FUBAR, fire went out, wrong lump, lump to small, etc, etc.....

Tell me about the ones that went wrong, what happened, and how you have gone about not having that happen again.

You all appear to really have a zeal for egging. It seems for even simple cooks, like burgers, a yard bird, you need to dedicate an hour an a half just to get the food off the grill. Searing a steak takes about 30 minutes or more to get the grill to nuclear then a 2 or 3 minute sear on each side then rest for some time, then finish up on a much lower temp for a length of time.

So again, tell me about what went wrong, and also, if you dont mind, tell me about how long you spend on your preps, and cooking times on a regular work day. Most days I dont get home before 5pm. And I am trying to get a handle on what kind of time frames I am looking at to get a meal off the egg.

Thanks for all the help gang. I have really enjoyed reading the site the last few weeks.

Happy Egging all.

Roger
South of Chicago

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Roger: Here are a few for you...you should get a few laughs, too. :laugh:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Burnt_Offerings.php

There have been many on this forum in your position. I think the only feedback I have heard after they got their egg was "Why did I wait so long?" :huh:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    There is an Eggfest in your part of the state next month:

http://eggwegofest.com/
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    "Why did I wait so long?" :huh:

:ermm: That's me :blink:

Get off the fence - it's too difficult to stay on a fence B)

You won't regret it :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If time is your biggest concern then maybe the egg is not for you although I can get the large to 600 in under 10 minutes with the weedburner. Granted it takes a little more planning but my routine after work is to light the egg and set the vents for about 300 then see what I want to cook. While prepping the food I can make adjustments to dial the appropriate temp based on whats available in the fridge. In the time it takes to prep most meals the egg is cruising along at the right temp.

I didn't buy 4 eggs to make it easier I bought them to make it better B)
    Keep the gasser but I'm sure it will eventually lose it's place on your patio.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Oswego has been suggested, but when you say "South of Chicago" then how far and where? Others of us live in Illinois too.

As for testimonials that's sort of what this whole board is about - even when someone comes here with a problem. We try to help. Another unspoken testimonial are the number of us who own multiple BGEs.

Remember this is a lifetime investment and a life style that will get in your blood and gets better and better. Unlike that Weber that you will have to kick to the curb sooner than later the BGE will still be around!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Have you eaten any EGGed food?
    If not, the Dealer might to somethin up for ya...
    but an EGGFEST is the way to go :woohoo:
    and once-used BGEs are a lot cheaper B)
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Roger it is time to jump down and clean a spot on your deck for your new BGE. I have four of them but I still have my Weber Genesis. I use the Weber for a quick hot dog and sometimes even a burger or two if I'm in a real hurry or the weather is bad. If at all possible I turn to one of the BGEs. Yes, I have had some mishaps with the egg but I have had my share on the Weber over the years too. Nothing tastes better than something prepared on the BGE. Besides, you will then have a reason to hang out here even more.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    That was funny. I have had my share of mistakes, but not on the Egg yet. I know it will come though.
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    Roger,
    I was given a medium two years ago for fathers day.
    Without sounding overboard it has changed my life.
    I can get home, start the egg, and have food on the grill in under 30 min. Of coarse it depends on prep time for what you are cooking.
    Food just taste better and it is so much fun. Once I purchased a internal meat thermoeter everthing has been great.
    I have screwed up but mostly it was because I was overcooking pork and chicken. The internal temp guage changed that. Still trying to be consistant on my ribs but other than that everything is just great.
    You will not be disappointed.
  • tqracer53
    Options
    Wife thought I was nuts wanting to spend that much money on a grill. After a few cooks on it we went camping and used a charcoal grill well needless to say she went and got a small so we could take it with us. Can't say I've had anything bad on it yet. Get one you won't be sorry.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Roger,

I look forward to your post about buying your second egg. Just a better way of cooking.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Roger,

Just one question for you. How often do you wake up and think about what your going to cook for dinner? For me, during the first year, it was every day. Now I pretty well have it figured out the night before.

Lets just say that 99% of us here DREAD even thinking about cooking on a gasser, no matter how much money was spent on it. You may has well cook IN the kitchen and not waste the cash. I do get a kick out of the 'Flavor bars' and the after market smoking boxes you see around.

The egg will make an ordinary cook or even the backyard bozo a wizard with food.

You simply get home, fire it up, prep your food and then cook. Absolutely no more time spent than on your gasser.

Remember, as a group here, we have nothing to gain whatsoever from you becoming an Egghead. But we do however, want everyone to have the same opportunity to make the absolute best food possible in or at your own home.

I have however poached some Artichokes and some chocolate chip cookies, but blame the cookies on the pre-made dough, too hot of an egg and the beer.

If you don't dig the egg, you can always sell it. Here on Craigslist you only see people looking to buy a used one. Almost never for sale.

You should smell the Apple wood smoking away, waiting for the pork chops. :P
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Roger
    I live in Mt. Greenwood, not sure where south of Chicago you are but...you are totally welcome to come to my house anytime and check my egg out. If you want to bring some food and try the egg out, that is fine.

I will be more than happy to sit down with you and answer your questions the best that I can. Mr. Food (not the guy from channel 7, just some JO from Mokena) lives by us. We can all get together and you can pick our noses, I mean brains.

Drop me a line or give me a call if you want
    tim
    timmyshitz@yahoo.com
    708-921-9692
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    You definetly get more out of your food natuarly. A real problem is that you will develope a sesitive palate for real nataural wood burning food and less added fats to make it taste good. This is a bad thing or a good thing, but it is bad because it will be harder to enjoy meals at your friends or at restaurants you currently enjoy. If you live in Chicago go check out the BBQ restaurant called Smoque BBQ. You can make the stuuf and get that flavour from your future egg.

I had a crack appear in the lower base of my egg. I sent in a quick picture and it was warrantied asap. Warrantly is life time, just remember a simple real of care, do not move the egg around when it is hot, it will crack, I never did it must have been from when it was curing. The gasket is your only maintence.

I was like you and I stalled a whole year before I bought one, I call myself a jackass for not committing sooner.

I currently developed a BBQ Rub called Cluck & Squeal.
    Stayed tuned www.cluckandsqueal.com is being built right now.

It is a great thing for a family to make your own pizzas on as well.

Marc
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I thought it was Cocano :laugh: You sound like a riot and can't wait to meat you. :laugh:
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Roger,

I'm a relative "newbie" to the forum, but have lurked on it for quite some time after I bought my Egg. Within that time, I have learned most of what to do properly, what NOT to do, etc.

Prior to buying the Egg, I started researching grills. Being an Engineer, I tend to be a bit "anal" about things, and will spend months researching until I feel I've learned enough about it. Reading sites like this one, as well as the Naked Whiz's site, among others, (even "competitor" sites & forums) gave me a lot of great info, both pro & con.

I also made up my own "decision matrix" which is basically an Excel spreadsheet listing out the factors important to me (weighted on a numerical scale) and which grills I was considering. If you put information like that into numerical / graph form, it's easy to see the winners / losers / pros / cons for each grill.

Needless to say, the Egg won. Why did it win, you may ask? It's certainly not the "cheapest" grill out there (and so it ranked low in terms of price), it's certainly not the most portable. But, for me, the biggest factors were versatility (how many things can you do with it versus other grills), technical / customer support (what happens if something breaks / goes wrong), availability of accessories, durability / value (how much "bang for my buck" do I get, or is this a waste of $$ & overpriced), business longevity / continuity (how long has the company been in business versus a "fly by night copy-cat").

In most of these categories, the Egg won - hands down. The only other things to come close were the "other" kamado-type grills (in terms of versatility), but they lost out to the Egg in terms of technical & customer support, and business longevity / duration.

And then of course is this forum - you can tell a lot about a product by what people who actually own / use one say about it.

Word-of-mouth advertising is a "no holds barred" situation - think about it, if you get a good product or service, you might tell a couple people about it - but if you get a BAD product or service, you might tell a couple HUNDRED people about it!!

Anyway, that's just my opinion - YMMV. :)

Finally - GO GO GO to ye next Eggfest - eat the food, mingle w/ the people, ASK questions - that'll be one of the BEST ways to make the decision!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi Roger: I don't post a lot, but I lurk quite a bit. I still have my gasser, but like others have said I throw hot dogs on for the kids and other basic stuff, but if I'm cooking anything of import, it's on my Large Egg.
    I'm doing a coffee brined pork roast and some sausages tomorrow, and it's not worth going to the trouble if I was just going to put it on the gas grill.
    It's more of a hobby/passion perspective, but I can't tell you how much I've grown to love it.
    My first pizzas were a little challenging, but after a few tries I can do them with ease. Ribs, pulled pork, nachos, and briskets were surprisingly good on my first tries, and have gotten better with each cook. I'm amazed at the ability to do a slow cook then raise the temperature and do appetizers, and a steak seared at 700+ degrees is better than Mortons.
    I think you need to ask yourself if you are satisfied with cooks on the Weber gasser, and that's fine, but if you are into BBQ and outdoor cooking and think you'd like to take it to the next level and really enjoy grilling and smoking, I think you'd enjoy an Egg, and the community here on the forum.
    Let us know what you decide, Cheers, Erik
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I've biffed a few things, but I've also had the occasional problem on the Weber or the stove so probably no change there.

It is possible that I have messed up more than I know, but the Egg rescued me.

Get one and you won't even be able to see the fence from where you end up.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Hello Roger, Welcome
    I apprciate your desire to make an informed decision, so here's my story. I also get home around 5-6, usually I light the egg soon aftr I get home, it is usually up to temp by the time get my food prep done.
    Basically the egg is just another cooking device.
    For me,it is as controllable and consistant as the stove (or a gasser) however, the food tastes MUCH better.
    Because of the consistancy, I can also do overnight or all day cooks, ( while I am at work) that I have not ben able to do on any other cooker.
    I have had several failures, many of them while I was learning how to run the Egg.
    Anyway, this has turned into a much longer post than I intended, sorry about that.
    Buy the Egg!! you wont regret it.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm like you - I haven't gotten my egg yet. I do think I would jump right in if I had tasted anything from it- I like the idea of how many things I could do with it but it is a lot of money to spend not actually having tried food from it. Especially since I need to get a new stove/oven too right now.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Wouldn't waste my money if I were you. You see all the unhappy people here, I wouldn't waste all the good food and entertainment that comes with the egg. Keep the old Webber and your life-style you currently have. Why come looking for the bad...................
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Roger, Welcome to the forum. :) Come on in the water is fine. B)
  • RRP
    Options
    I think a troll has ripped us again! He said he's been here a month - but in doing the math it has only been 19 days and this has been his only post.
  • ThailandBBQ
    Options
    Roger,

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have a mediuum egg and a Fire Magic Echelon 730, the "gasser" has an infared burner that I sear steaks with, a rotisserie, a smoke box, "flavor grids" which hold woood chips, fruit, etc. I can cook a steak just as well in a lot less time and I don't have to worry about gaskets and flare-ups.

With that said the egg is great for slow cooking but I'll never give up on my gasser, until you have used a high end grill you really don't know what you're missing.

The BGE in my opinion takes lots of time and planning, I am retired and have the time....but even so there are times when I don't want to deal with the egg setup. Also I have a medium and contrary to what people say, they are not steady as a rock on temp. Mine goes up, down and all around on a slow cook, requires watching and minor adjustments every hour or so.

Now I am sure I will get lots of posts against me on this and I am not trying to start a feud. I like the Egg but I do have concerns that over time I will have cracks and with living in Thailand where the warranty is virtually useless to me.

All in all I like the egg, just trying to give you a different perspective on your decision. If I had it to do over I would have bought a large, from the forum it seems they are more stable temperature wise.

Also I may give in and buy a Stoker or similar product to keep the long and slow cooks stable.

I apologize now if I offended the forum.

Cheers, Mike
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    AND no thank you for the info to ANY of the replies. :huh: :whistle:
  • RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    I think a troll has ripped us again! He said he's been here a month - but in doing the math it has only been 19 days and this has been his only post.

Wow, a guy asks a civil question, and already is accused of being a troll?

Just for your information, I didnt remember when I signed up for the forum, and got a registered account, but had been on reading for awhile before I registered.

The reason I hadnt posted anything in the time I've been here is that I was trying to figure out if an Egg is what I want and need.

Old saying goes something like this, Better to keep your mouth shut, and let people think your an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubt.

I try and research any big purchases, and in doing this, have visited 3 different dealers in the Chicago area. 2 were simply retailers and could not answer basic questions that I asked of them. And then I went to Floribunda Gardens in Oswego, and talked for a rather long time to Nancy (I believe was her name) She was fantastic to talk to for the time my wife and I were with her.

To all the posters that have made comments on this thread, I greatly appreciate them. I also got a big chuckle out of the Burnt Offerings page that Lil Chef posted.

As a side note, my wife and I talked more about an egg at dinner tonight and she told me to go ahead and get one. So I suppose I will send in my order for a Large to be picked up at the Eggwegofest in September.

Thanks much again to all that posted here. I am looking forward to posting up some cooks that I will do in the weeks following the fest.

Roger
    South of Chicago
    rgt10@comcast.net
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Roger,

Yessss!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase. You will never regret it once you get going :)
  • RRP
    Options
    hey, dude...look back at the top. I think I was the 4th or 5th to respond. You sure seem to trip over yourself to claim being a good guy! Good bye
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Mike...We are all allowed to have, and share our opinions. That's what the forum is all about. ;) Sorry to hear you are having difficulties controlling your temps though...our medium is the easiest egg to adjust temp wise in our family of four eggs. Hope you are able to get it working better for you.