Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tracking Temp Rise on Pizza Stone with IR meter

BBQMaven
BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, here it is... decided today was as good as any to set up the Large BGE and measure how long it takes the pizza stone to get to temp...
IMG_1718.jpg
lump temp at 890 degrees as plate setter and pizza stone go in
IMG_1721.jpg
30 minutes later with dome temp reading 500
IMG_1733.jpg
plate setter temp only at 379 degrees
IMG_1734.jpg
and pizza stone only at 239 degrees
IMG_1736.jpg
50 minutes after putting p/s and stone in - dome temp is still stuck on 500... plate setter now reads 488 degress
IMG_1751.jpg
Pizza stone is up to 345 degrees....
IMG_1752.jpg
90 minutes after p/s and stone go in, dome temp is still 500, the p/s setter is sitting at 585 degrees
IMG_1767.jpg
the stone is now at 469
IMG_1772.jpg
The nine year old can't wait any longer, so we put his pizza he built on...and 8 minutes later
IMG_1776.jpg
The the adult versions go on...
IMG_1773.jpg

enjoyed the exercise... but the pizza more!!!!
Kent Madison MS

Comments

• I knew it!

Thank you very much for this exercise. I've thought all along this is what is going on. My very best pizza's are always the last ones (of 5-8) to come off. I wait at least 45 minutes or so, apparently I'll need to wait longer still.

Thanks you again.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Wow, makes me wonder what temp my stone is when I put my pizza's on. Now I need to convince my wife that I need an IR thermo.
  • BBQMaven
    I'd have lost money also :blink: ... I got the dome temp stable in less than 25 minutes and it never budged (except when opening to shot the pics)... only open 10 seconds or so -- it recovered in less than a minute...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Jagermeister wrote:
    Wow, makes me wonder what temp my stone is when I put my pizza's on. Now I need to convince my wife that I need an IR thermo.

Harbor Freight has one on sale for $29. Just went there after seeing this.
  • BBQMaven
    My wife just rolls her eyes when I bring home a "gotta have" item... but just like this one - look at the benefit it brings to the table B) ... food she doesn't have to cook...
    Kent Madison MS
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Mine complains too until she gets to eat the food the "gotta have" item helped cook! :laugh:
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Haven't tried pizza yet, but am really anxious to give it a try.

But I planned on putting the plate setter and pizza stone in after lighting the lump - so everything came up to temp at the same time, but you put them in after the lump got really hot.

Is there a downside to putting them in after lighting the lump - other than taking longer to come up to temp?

Thanks!
  • BBQMaven
    I must not have clearly stated what I did... the plate setter and stone went it 5 minutes after I fired the lump off - the fire was showing 890 degrees at that point...when you start the fire with
    IMG_1715.jpg
    50cc of 92 alcohol :woohoo: - you don't have much time to put the p/s and stone in... the "30 minute" mark I mention was 35 minutes after striking the match.... :evil:
    Kent Madison MS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wow,
    Would have never guessed it took that long to heat up.
    Thanks for the post.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Hahaha - thanks for clearing that up for me - and the xtra pic!

-Ken
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    not sure if it would affect the temp readings but most IR thermometers have to be adjusted for emisivity......all objects emit energy at different wave lengths which determines temp. IR thermometers pick up energy and compute temperature......might check with the manufacturer to see how ceramics and lump are handled.......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BBQMaven
    You are way smarter than me... my experience has been that after the 2nd or third pizza, they started getting real uniform in cooking... then about a year ago, timing was off and it was over 1.5 hours before I put the first one one... bingo, every one of them were perfect - I knew something was happening with the hot soak temp of the ceramic...

today's experiment may not be perfect, but it does line up with the way my pizzas cook...
    Kent Madison MS
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Wow, much more of a spread in temps than I would have thought on the pizza stone between 30 and 90 minutes.

Good info to have.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Great post Kent, very good information

Ross
  • BBQMaven
    Thanks Ross, I've often wondered but never taken the time to actually test it out... again, another truth the forum teaches and now we have proof
    Kent Madison MS
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Thanks Kent!
    Made pizza last night from scratch, got the egg going to 550 dome for one hour before first pizza whent in. Thin crust pizza. Second pizza baked a little faster!
    Nice boy ya got there, he'll be getting his own egg someday. ;)